The Emo Patient and You

Chief1C

What the hell are these things the kids are wearing on their wrists? Had one that was wearing at least fifty of these Silly Bands on each arm, in addition to a number of "cause" bracelets. I cut them all off, instantly pissed off. But my first aid for 'emo bandz', is telling them to knot them back together and call them "battle scarred bandz". So, I hereby coin that phrase, but feel free to use it in order to calm them down. HA HA lolz

• Like 5

What the hell are these things the kids are wearing on their wrists? Had one that was wearing at least fifty of these Silly Bands on each arm, in addition to a number of "cause" bracelets. I cut them all off, instantly pissed off. But my first aid for 'emo bandz', is telling them to knot them back together and call them "battle scarred bandz". So, I hereby coin that phrase, but feel free to use it in order to calm them down. HA HA lolz

Obviously, someone is lacking the skills needed in order to communicate with their pts..... :thumbsdown:

• Like 1

Obviously, someone is lacking the skills needed in order to communicate with their pts..... :thumbsdown:

If these bands or anything else is in the way or compromising to patient care it gets removed by any means necessary. However the key here is compromising to patient care. If I need to start an IV they need to go.

• Like 2

For once I am agreeeing with a firefighter. (SHOCK) Especially considering the original post sounds like somehting a firefighter would do.

As for cutting off the bands if needed for patient care...sure. But you could also ask them to remove them. or chose a different site (ek the A/C.

• Like 1

If these bands or anything else is in the way or compromising to patient care it gets removed by any means necessary. However the key here is compromising to patient care. If I need to start an IV they need to go.

I agree tsk.....sorry gotta go...go buy 50 more when you get Discharged..... :D

Edited by EMTDON970
  • Like 1

If the patient is that conversant, do they really need the IV, or are you putting it in for self serving 'because I could' reasons?

From my experience, with 1 noteable exception, i have never had a patient argue about cutting off clothing etc. I did, with the 1 noteable exception give him a choice, cut it off or use the External Jugular. He saw my way of thinking.

For once I am agreeeing with a firefighter. (SHOCK) Especially considering the original post sounds like somehting a firefighter would do.

As for cutting off the bands if needed for patient care...sure. But you could also ask them to remove them. or chose a different site (ek the A/C.

I could just as easily choose the EJ. That's not the point. I said if its compromising to patient care, there are a lot of what if's to be discussed but I'd rather not.

You propose I use the A/C, I say my imaginary what if patient has nothing but flat and heroin abused veins in his A/C. See how this gets us no where? So lets not do that. If it compromises patient care it goes. If it doesn't it can stay.

If the patient is that conversant, do they really need the IV, or are you putting it in for self serving 'because I could' reasons?

From my experience, with 1 noteable exception, i have never had a patient argue about cutting off clothing etc. I did, with the 1 noteable exception give him a choice, cut it off or use the External Jugular. He saw my way of thinking.

I've cut off teenage females "uggz" because they we're trauma patients specifically to the lower extremities, they were quite clear they didn't want them cut off, and I was quite clear I needed to check for distal perfusion, and they couldn't "slip off" the boots because of the pain it was causing.

This week a patient refused an IV because "they hurt too much" as he sits in SVT with a rate of 200. "Okay no problem pastor." Attach Defib pads on him, "whats this?" "Pastor, since you didn't want an IV I can't give you a medication to fix your heart, so I have to use these instead its going to hurt are you sure you don't want an IV?" "No IV they hurt to much" *charging* point being sometimes people refuse whats best for them because they are just set in their ways.

If you cut someone's property without an imminent medical need, you're really not thinking clearly and just being a douche. Sorry. You can dislike the "emo kid" and all his jelly bracelets... but unless you can't get them off without cutting, you have no right to destroy his property. What's wrong with you?

If there's a medical need, you do as little damage as possible but do what needs to be done. If there's no medical need, and the original post doesn't really indicate whether or not there was, then keep your scissors to yourself.

I'm actually really disgusted by this... is it OK to cut off someone's coat because you don't like the designer? Because you think it makes them stuck up? Where do you draw the line here?

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Wendy I'm in agreement, if there is a medical need do it, do it and that's the end of it. I personally will not go out of my way to cut along the seams I put my rescue hook or scissors at the first edge of clothing or boot etc... I can reach and go from there. Maybe I'm a jerk for it, but I don't have the frame of mind where I feel clothing takes priority over taking care of the patient.

Wendy, great post.

I am in agreement with all posters who have said that if it compromises patient care, it goes.

I don't agree with cutting clothing items unless there is a medical need for it.

I have had patients who didn't want clothing cut (anyone ever cut cowboy boots off a bull rider?). Most of the time, it only take a minute to explain the reason why you need to do a certain intervention, including giving an IV, and the alternatives if they choose to refuse that intervention. Usually, after the explanation, the patient is cooperative.

Part of patient care is dealing with their personal space in a professional manner, and dealing with their emotional care as well as their physical care. If we get to the point where we are rude to a patient just because we can be in our position of authority at that moment, it is time to consider stepping back and taking a break from the profession for a bit. Yes, we all have our days where we have had more than our share of idiot patients and we have ended our shift with extreme frustration.. it happens... but when we can't put that behind us and treat the next patient with professionalism, it is time to go.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.