Splints

I think the best splint out there, is actually the only splint we use here. its the SAM splint that forms to the limb then you ace wrap it. It also easy to improvise it into a traction splint for long bone femoral fractures and whatnot.

The Splint, Aluminum, Malleable, ha ha, is not my favorite tool, but SAM products are quite handy. I would not consider it's use, no matter how well someone sold the idea, for a femur fracture. I wouldn't make a SAM Collar out of it either. I have done so in training, and I determined it unacceptable. I would marvel over it, if they made 18, 24 and 36" inch SAM's, that are 15" wide. That would be the cats ass.

Honestly, I have little use for splints in the sand box or otherwise. Minor stuff can be self splinted until I can do a proper immobilisation job in the ER. Major stuff will go on a vacuum mattress, scoop or both and everything is pretty much immobilised. For some of the facility transports I will use whatever the sending facility has, I'm not picky.

Take care,

chbare.

I think the best splint out there, is actually the only splint we use here. its the SAM splint that forms to the limb then you ace wrap it. It also easy to improvise it into a traction splint for long bone femoral fractures and whatnot.

SAMs are fun to play with and can be handy, but realize that you likely won't use one (or many other splints) in-theater. It's much faster, efficient and practical to body-splint or use the pt's own equipment.

Improvisitation is the difference between a shitbag medic and a doc (In the Army) 4 sam splints is what we carry in our bag. You can splint a femoral fracture with it then provide traction on the ends to splint a femoral fracture. Its the only splint we got, but when my guys knock on my door and someone broke their arm playing football, i always splint it with a SAM

• Like 1

Honestly, I have little use for splints in the sand box or otherwise. Minor stuff can be self splinted until I can do a proper immobilisation job in the ER. Major stuff will go on a vacuum mattress, scoop or both and everything is pretty much immobilised. For some of the facility transports I will use whatever the sending facility has, I'm not picky.

Take care,

chbare.

I so agree. I don't splint a lot in the field. If it can be self-splinted, I find that is the best - I can make it all pretty and splint the injury, and the doc is going to take it all off at the ER anyways. I like the yellow speed splints, not for splinting, but cut down a bit and used for keeping an arm straight after I have an IV in AC. It works well for those patients who are head injured, or otherwise refuse to keep the arm straight or still.

Improvisitation is the difference between a shitbag medic and a doc (In the Army) 4 sam splints is what we carry in our bag. You can splint a femoral fracture with it then provide traction on the ends to splint a femoral fracture. Its the only splint we got, but when my guys knock on my door and someone broke their arm playing football, i always splint it with a SAM

Wow, what a broad statement. I have to improvise quite a bit and I'm fairly certain not one of my colleagues would call me a shitbag medic. You may want to choose your words a little more carefully.

Your broad generalizations aren't very becoming. I agree with EMS49393 in that you may want to choose your words a little more carefully. You're talking to a lot of people with a wide variety of extensive patient care experience... some people have been doing this job since you were in diapers. Being a motivated soldier is one thing. Being a jerk is quite another.

I get the impression that you're both young and still pretty new to the Army, yes?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.