What Do You Put Under "Expected Pay/Wages" on Job Apps?

Filling out some EMT job applications. I never really know what to put when they ask you your desired pay rate? Is it something that will affect whether you get an interview? I've previously put "standard pay based on experience"...

What JPINFV said and one of your questions during an interview should be "what is your pay range, benefits, and expectation for advancement?"

--Wendy

If the position posted has a salary stated, then I will write, "as posted". They obviously have a pay structure that I can't change.

If there is no salary listed, then I will put "negotiable".

If there is no salary listed and the application is online and will only accept a numeric value, then I do some research on average salaries for that position in that area. I typically will post just a little higher than the average. I have found, especially in the corporate world, that they tend to offer just a little less than you ask.

Just be sure to know what your minimal salary acceptance level is. This way, if they offer much lower than you are willing to accept, it'll be easier to say, "no thank you".

I put in "Negotiable", too.

Then, when the offer is made and they start talking compensation, I start with a number/proposal that is much more generous than I reasonably expect to earn. I'm willing to bargain down to what I really want.

I usually put like 50 cents then what I currently make, alot of online apps you cant put "negotiable", you have to put an amount.

Edited by EMTDON970
  • Like 1

Thanks all.

BTW, anyone who does hiring know why an address is required for my personal references?

I hate putting down friend's home addresses.

I'm putting down a police officer who won't want it released (so I'll put work address).

Then, my previous coworker who is unemployed because he went to paramedic school full-time and just finished (so not work address).

It's because they mail out their queries instead of making a phone call.

If your references aren't comfortable, provide what information they are comfortable in giving. I usually only provide a phone number and, at best, an email address. Just make sure your phone numbers are correct. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.