Why You Should Always Ask What Kind Of Doctor

uglyEMT

Ok so last night we were bored and started talking about the funniest calls we were on or something funny that happened during a call. Well heres the best one I heard out of all of them......

Units respond to a multi car MVA w/ multiple injures. One of those cant have enough man power kinda calls. Well on scene the units find civilians helping patients and its basically a big cluster fcuk. Once things get under control and sorted out they find a civilan helping a pretty bad patient. As they start taking over patient care the civilan states that he is a doctor and would like to contiue to help. Well the crew decides its OK, so far hes done a great job, and continues to have him lend assistance.

They get the patient packaged and ready for transport and the "Doctor" is still helping and gets into the rig. Thankfully the crew decides to ask why he wants to ride along. He states that since he began patient care he would like to continue. The crew cheif thinks about that for a second and decides to let him stay due to the whole higher medical authority treatment protocol.

They get to the hospital and transfer the patient to the ED. Well on the way back the "Doctor" asks for a ride and they lend it to him. So they begin to talk on the ride back and one of the EMTs decides to finally ask what kind of doctor he is...............

"I'm A Veternarian"

blink.gifwtf2.gifbonk.gif

Needless to say, always ask what kind of doctor someone is before you decide they can lend assistance.

• Like 1

While asking what type of MD is a good start, I think you'll find, that, probably in most states, an MD that begins care is REQUIRED to accompany the patient to the hospital!

If one asks to help after you're on scene, and have begun patient care, and you allow it, he/she also will need to go with the pt.

Understood and thats why the crew cheif said he could ride along. BUT and this is a large but, a vet is not liscensed to practice medicine on humans thus at that point he is a common civilian thus no higher medical authority protocol is in effect.

A veterinarian (American English) or a veterinary surgeon (British English), often shortened to vet, is a physician for animals (excluding humans) and a practitioner of veterinary medicine.

While asking what type of MD is a good start, I think you'll find, that, probably in most states, an MD that begins care is REQUIRED to accompany the patient to the hospital!

If one asks to help after you're on scene, and have begun patient care, and you allow it, he/she also will need to go with the pt.

I would need to see those laws. I know we often tell them to leave when we get on scene as often they are hindering the care that the patients need.

It's going to really depend on the situation. In general, most protocols state that if a physician walks up and wants to assume care of the patient after EMS was started treatment, then they're required to go along with the transport. That, however, is a different situation than a crew responding to a scene where a physician has already started care and is willing to turn over care to the crew. Otherwise, it would be like saying that on a 911 call to a doctor's office or other health care facility with a physician on site that the physician would have to go with the transport.

It's going to really depend on the situation. In general, most protocols state that if a physician walks up and wants to assume care of the patient after EMS was started treatment, then they're required to go along with the transport. That, however, is a different situation than a crew responding to a scene where a physician has already started care and is willing to turn over care to the crew. Otherwise, it would be like saying that on a 911 call to a doctor's office or other health care facility with a physician on site that the physician would have to go with the transport.

I am repeating on what my EMT instructor told in class. His Medical Program Director supplied business cards to his emt's and medics to give to Docs offering help, stating Thank you for your willingness to help. These EMT's are under my license under my protocals, If you agree to help you will be taking fully liablity for this patient and you will be practicing under your own license and malpractice insurance. Needless to say most doctors left the scene alone

Fireman1037

FDNY, and all units covered under NYC's 9-1-1 system have a place on the backs of the call reports telling the doctors that. If they still want to go, there are protocols in place, including the need for the doctor to sign their name and put their Narcotics number on the call report.

I'm not sure what the requirements are in Missouri but every service I've worked for has had protocols for physicians taking care of patients. If they are insistent that they be responsible for the patient then I tell them they have to ride along, they cannot assume care for the patient until they have contacted my medical control and my medical control physician gives them the go-ahead.

If they are going to assume care then they HAVE to ride to the hospital with me and the patietn. They then have to sign the patient care record with their DEA number only if they gave narcotic orders.

Once the physician is told they have to ride I've only had one take me up on it and in that particular case he was the on-call trauma surgeon at the hospital we were heading to. He allowed me to do the EMS side while he was at the airway. This particular patient was in a head on and the sun visor nearly took the crown of her head off. There were brains all over. We ended up cric'in the patient and doing a lot of stuff to her.

Unfortunately she passed away soon after reaching the ER but this doc had no problems signing the report.

That's the only time I've ever had a doc assume care and ride with me.

AFter the call he said that he really was out of his league but I thanked him for the Cric and bought him a vegemite sandwich.

Actually, I just remembered another one. This one was different though. I had a ER doc in a small rural ER where I worked. We got a call on a code and since there were no patients in the ER he decided to come along. He was giving all the orders and I was doing all the work. I did put him on the airway where the patient had aspirated copious amounts of coffee ground emesis. He was covered in black liquid vomit.

He vowed NEVER EVER Again.

You gone Aussie on us?

Nah, I just read He did the Cric and thought Crikey so I added the vegemite

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.