need advice

Hi all

i am currently studying my Diploma of paramedical science, through first response Australia. I need advice Guidance on what would be my best employment option once i complete the course.

1.Do i apply for a state ambo service and ask for recognition of prior learning or apply for Graduate entry in QAS.

2. Work for a private ambulance company or try for a medics job at one of the mines or oil rigs.

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated as i am unsure how highly regarded the Diploma course is. I am willing to work anywhere in Australia and would join any state Ambulance service I just want to learn and work.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

i am currently studying my Diploma of paramedical science, through first response Australia. I need advice Guidance on what would be my best employment option once i complete the course.

1.Do i apply for a state ambo service and ask for recognition of prior learning or apply for Graduate entry in QAS.

2. Work for a private ambulance company or try for a medics job at one of the mines or oil rigs.

Any guidance or advice would be much appreciated as i am unsure how highly regarded the Diploma course is. I am willing to work anywhere in Australia and would join any state Ambulance service I just want to learn and work.

You course appears to be recognised (by state education authorities - that means you can use the credit to transfer around). That's a good start - some aren't.

I had a look at the course materials though and they are a bit misleading. There is no such thing as an EMT in Australia. Not in the sense that that it is an officially recognised position. If a person wants to read the wikipedia page on first aid and buy themselves a uniform that says EMT, they can. More correctly if a private first aid company wants to piggy back on the popularity of American TV and call their employees/trainees EMTs..they can. Its doesn't mean anybody employs "EMTs". That said it seems that QAS recognise you qualification as a minimum level of entry into a Patient Transport Officer role. Thats something.

Also, I understand QAS still take people out of highschool and train them entirely within the service. They might look favourably on someone who had gone to the effort of doing such a course as you mention and you may even be able to get some RPL, but there are no guarentees. The only way you can know for sure is to ring someone from QAS and tell them exactly what you doing and ask them what your options are.

You best bet is probably QAS, because those diploma type things are quickly becoming obsolete in most other states. If you go off and play first aid on an oil rig for a while, you may come back to find out you can't use your diploma in an Ambulance service anymore.

Edited by melclin

I think you will find that to apply for a 'graduate' position, you will need to hold a University degree. A diploma is what most people who go through general entry attain.

I would suggest you contact the service you wish to be employed by to see if they actually will accept the qualification you have & if they will recognise the prior learning.

The QAS web site lists qualifications, but they specifically relate to qualifications attained through other services & include working (not ride a longs)as an ambulance officer.

*EDIT* I researched the QAS web site to find this

Diploma of Paramedical Science (Ambulance) or equivalent; and

3 years experience as a paramedic in a pre-hospital care, emergency environment. For casual and volunteer officers you will need to demonstrate 5500 hours or greater in patient care. (Station standby is not considered as appropriate experience – actual patient care experience needs to be demonstrated); and

Competent in Advanced Care procedures. Applicants should also be able to demonstrate their ability as a clinical mentor; and

Able to provide evidence of recent currency of experience within this field.

I think this will more than answer your question.

Edited by aussiephil

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.