Puerto Rico Paramedic Lic to USA Lic

Medic One

Had an applicant come in today...He is a Paramedic from Puerto Rico looking for work in the states.

He has a great resume, no criminal history, working on drivers lic in states, has social security number, AWESOME transcripts from his school, speaks excellent english but.............

The NREMT can't help him until the local EMS office gives receprocty..problem is the state office wants him to get his NREMT 1st to issue a state lic.

WTF....

Anyone every come from another country to the US for work in EMS?

How can I help this guy?

Can he challenge the NREMT test either as a basic or Paramedic?

Give me some info I would like to hire him!!!!!!

The NREMT can't help him until the local EMS office gives receprocty..problem is the state office wants him to get his NREMT 1st to issue a state lic.

Says who? I've never encountered a situation where NREMT requires state certification before allowing a candidate to test.

If you want to help this guy call NREMT directly and ask them. Then you'll get the official line on what this guys needs to do. Then post a follow up here and let us know what they say.

Good luck.

-be safe

I've worked with a PR paramedic, who told us that because the PR paramedic course skipped the chapter on hypothermia, NR would not certify their graduates, even for work in PR.

Seriously.

From what he told us, his course was one of the longest and most intense I've heard of, but apparently NR would rather patch some 6-month mill grads than put some critical thinking into the issue.

This was my problem too.

Successful completion of a state-approved Paramedic course that meets or exceeds the U.S. Department of Transportation Paramedic National Standard Curriculum

(see here)

Call some of the local Paramedic programs in the area, see if they will let him cross-credit all his Paramedic education to thier class. He might have to take a refresher or like one class to meet the requirement to "graduate" from that school and viola, he can go take the national registry test.

If all else fails, Texas is extremely liberal, you literally have to take like one class at the school and can cross-credit everything else and they will say you graduated from that program.

Best of luck mate let me know how you get on

Thanks all...Atleast I have a place for him to start.

• 2 years later...

To Whom it may concern. To the person who said Puerto Rico is a third world country" You sound like uneducated racist narrow -minded person.

I am a Proud born American born in Puerto Rico. Bled Red White and Blue for the American Flag. Educated for a higher learning for Emergency Services. Next time you open you mouth, dont stick your foot in it! Anyone that does comes from Puerto Rico is highly educated. Unless they are the undocumented ones, we also have a big problem with illegals.

Ssgt Retired 82ndAirborne US Army

Wilson: maybe if you actually read what Richard wrote you wouldn't spout off in an uneducated way.

He stated that while PR is not a state it is an American territory and not a third world nation state.

Just sayin!

Maybe your red beanie is just a little too tight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.