MAS 70s Promo Video

Kiwiology

You work with what you've got. The scoop, aka Orthopedic Stretcher was the bees knees for the longest time, and with no support except a Velcro secured pad on one end at that. The purpose of the Jordan Frame is to lift the patient with out moving them at all. But still, being as I've never used one, nor have I seen the available US device, the Ferno Break-Away Flat used; I still prefer my spine board. But we have trained in using the scoop to place someone into a body vacuum splint; or scooping one onto a spine board. They still sell the Jordan Frame too.. I've just never seen an Australia EMS Supply Catalog, just the versions of multi-national websites, like DynaMed-Galls, Bound Tree, etc.

pretty sure these went out in the late eighties, not nearly rigid enough for spinal immobilisation.

Interestingly, one of the nursing homes here has a couple of them, its is absolutely the best bit of gear for picking oldies up who have NOF'd themselves. Just shimmy the slats under them no matter how they fall and pick em up, far less movement than a scoop.

im pretty sure they preceded scoops, and were in fat replaced by early ferno scoop stretchers and then later DHS ones.

pretty sure these went out in the late eighties, not nearly rigid enough for spinal immobilisation.

Interestingly, one of the nursing homes here has a couple of them, its is absolutely the best bit of gear for picking oldies up who have NOF'd themselves. Just shimmy the slats under them no matter how they fall and pick em up, far less movement than a scoop.

im pretty sure they preceded scoops, and were in fat replaced by early ferno scoop stretchers and then later DHS ones.

OMG you speak the truth mate, went to an old lady who NOF'd herself one night on the kitchen rug, took over an hour to get her pain under control enough so we could scoop her

• 3 months later...

The Jordon Lifting Frame was a redesign of a french device called the Mans Sicard. Dr Don Jordon modified it by changing the two poles that ran down the sides of the patient to a rigid frame. It came into service in Australia in the 1970's and in Victoria, it replaced Long Boards as this device was said to be an improved replacement. It was a disaster. Slow to apply, very wide (so it couldn't be used in houses or tight areas), no rigid platform so it could not be used to slide people out of cars or to secure people too, slats fell off, and so it goes on. It was revomed from the Victorian Ambulance Service in the mid 1990's and replaced with the DHS Scoops and DHS & Neann curved Long Boards which are much preffered.

The Jordon can get under a patient with minimal movement but placing the slats underneath was slow. The DHS Scoop was shown to cause less movement during application (if applied correctly) and could be applied in as little as 30 seconds compared to the 5 mins of a Jordon frame.

It was sadly one of the many peices of useless equipment designed by people with little experince in the prehospital setting.

Edited by Ravemtech

You know, you really can't put 70's and promo next to each other. Really should have spelled the word out.

Don't tell me I was the only one that thought it too!

Hahah! fantastic...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.