MAS 70s Promo Video

Kiwiology

never seen one of those before, but you cant tell me you can get that underneath a patient without any movement?

I think the concept was, you would move the patient to the wheeled stretcher by whatever means, but not move the patient in relation to themselves transferring from the wheeled stretcher to the ER examining table.

These slat type stretchers? I have vague memories from the early to mid 1970s of seeing them in the Dyna-Med catalogs, way before they became a part of Galls.

Someone told me, something like 3 decades ago, the Ferno "Scoop" is actually a design called a "Robinson" stretcher. I'll let someone else research that one. However, NY State and City protocols don't allow them to be used in place of long backboards for spinal immobilization, as there is no direct support under the spine. You can use the device for as needed extrication, but at the earliest possible time, put the patient onto the long backboard.

Someone told me, something like 3 decades ago, the Ferno "Scoop" is actually a design called a "Robinson" stretcher. I'll let someone else research that one.

The Scoop is actually an english design from the 1960's. However the designer was unable to find a manufacturer in the UK to develop and manufacture it, and so it was taken to the USA where Ferno took on the deign and development. Four basic versions now exist, the original Ferno 65P metal Scoop (now copied by a number of companies), the Ferno 65 EXL plastic Scoop (again being copied by a number of manufacturers), the Hartwell Combi Carrier (an upgrade to the less successful one peice non extendable metal Ferno Scoop) and finally an Australian designed DHS Aussie Scoop.

New Zealand first started using the scoop in the mid seventies. Up until a few years ago we used the metal scoop which could be stored in a pillow case or joined together and stored under the stretcher tray however the Ferno yellow plastic ones are slowly replacing them.

I absolutely bloody love the thing it's just fantastic and the evidence seems to suggest they are superior to a long backboard when it comes to less patient movement.

However I must say they do have limitations in that people get themselves stuck in all sort of weird places and its often difficult to extricate them because our primary extrication tools are all long and rigid. They are the ubiquidos orange stair chair, scoop and the stretcher (either Stollenwerk or Stryker).

Sometimes it would be nice to have a longboard to just drag people out onto and make a run for the vehicle.

• 9 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.