How hard is it to transfer EMT/paramedic license to another state?

Not to hijack, but what is required in California, specifically LA County, for EMT-B's. I tried to look at their site for it, but couldn't find anything comprehensive about the procedures for reciprocity.

JPINFV is our expert on this issue for LA County so you might PM him for the specifics.

But some of the basic information is here:

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/personnel/EMT_FAQ.asp

You must also contact the individual county.

http://www.emsa.ca.gov/local/admins.asp

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/Certification/Cert.htm

Every state is a bit different. I have held a certification in 4 states and each time I had to get reciprocity was like pulling teeth. Most state run organizations are slow and not overly helpful. It took me 4 months to get reciprocity in Delaware and Pennsylvania and 3 months to get reciprocity in Texas.

The best thing to do is to gain certification in the state you want to live in. Transferring certifications state-t-state is difficult and stressful.

Edited by medic0surgeon

Every state is a bit different. I have held a certification in 4 states and each time I had to get reciprocity was like pulling teeth. Most state run organizations are slow and not overly helpful. It took me 4 months to get reciprocity in Delaware and Pennsylvania and 3 months to get reciprocity in Texas.

The best thing to do is to gain certification in the state you want to live in. Transferring certifications state-t-state is difficult and stressful.

That is definitely the best way to go - the problem for me at least is, when I graduate, I am going to need to get a job and in this competitive field and horrible job market, I pretty much need to go wherever I can get a job, even if it's another state. Also - we live in Florida and my daughter wants to go to college in NYC, so we were thinking of moving there her last year of high school, so she could get reciprocity. Advantage of going to school in Florida - the cost of living is very low which is important when you are in a program that is so intense that you can't work.

National Registry should ease the process - but some states still require you to take their state test even if you are, get a letter of good standing from your current state, a background check, etc (least that's how it is coming here). I don't know about New York, but I'd venture to say the best thing to do is just contact their EMS office and ask about reciprocity procedures. Then hit the chamber of commerce for each city you're thinking about and you can research the areas. There's several from NY on here, so it shouldn't be a big deal finding decent areas up there though I think it's more upstate for the school districts you desire.

• Like 1

National Registry should ease the process - but some states still require you to take their state test even if you are, get a letter of good standing from your current state, a background check, etc (least that's how it is coming here). I don't know about New York, but I'd venture to say the best thing to do is just contact their EMS office and ask about reciprocity procedures. Then hit the chamber of commerce for each city you're thinking about and you can research the areas. There's several from NY on here, so it shouldn't be a big deal finding decent areas up there though I think it's more upstate for the school districts you desire.

So what happens while you are waiting for your certification to come through? You can't work at all?

Depends on the state. I know in the past Ohio and West Virginia granted temporary work certs which were good for two months until they processed your application and verified everything. Ohio was a little tougher as a basic because you had to have a transition class for airway as basics can intubate pulseless/apneic there. West Virginia it was just until your certs came through as they won't grant you a cert until you are already employed with a service. Most will let you go ahead and do your orientation, but may not let you go on payroll until you get the temp certs from them. I'm not sure how it works now. New York may offer something like that so I'd check into it - just ask their EMS office if that is a possibility and when applying for jobs go ahead and say reciprocity is "in process". I've never dealt with NY EMS so I can't speak to that. Good luck !

• 1 month later...

This question is somewhat related to the topic being discussed here.

Is there any issue with having an EMT license in more than one state at a time?

I am an EMT Intermediate with National Registry credentials and a license to practice in Georgia. I live very close to the South Carolina border and would like to be able to work there if I so chose. My NREMT certification is sufficient for reciprocity.....I just want to make sure I'm not going to mess with my Georgia license by getting reciprocity.

Thanks for any help.

This question is somewhat related to the topic being discussed here.

Is there any issue with having an EMT license in more than one state at a time?

I am an EMT Intermediate with National Registry credentials and a license to practice in Georgia. I live very close to the South Carolina border and would like to be able to work there if I so chose. My NREMT certification is sufficient for reciprocity.....I just want to make sure I'm not going to mess with my Georgia license by getting reciprocity.

Thanks for any help.

There shouldn't be. There's nothing illegal, to my knowledge, with working in two different states. It's not like you have to hand in your state cert when you move. When I moved from NY to SC I would have been able to work in both states, if I wanted to travel. I reciprocated to VA six months later, and had certs in three states in addition to my NR-P. Tht Valley Health System out in VA, WV and MD employ EMS with dual state certs. The only issue might be state residence with SC, although I don't know for sure. Call the state and find out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.