Triple Canopy

Hi everyone i was just wondering if anyone had or knew anyone with any experience with the company Triple Canopy? From what i can tell it looks like they took over the contracts that Black Water once held with the U.S. government. They currently are taking applications for some overseas military bases. I hear the pay is great (and tax free!) but i was wondering if anyone had some insite on what kind of experiences to expect or exactly how much they do pay. The website is Triple Canopy . I am a new medic in California so the job market for a paramedics is pretty dismal. I do however have over four years experience working in a level 2 trauma center so i do feel my experience is above average as far as new medics go. Just trying to get a feel if something like this is right for me.

Triple Canopy is a top notch business! As far as 'taking over' contracts, I am not too sure that is the case. It is not common that contracts are 'taken over. I am sure Triple Canopy submitted competitive bids for the contracts you reference and subsequently were awarded based on the presentation.

Triple Canopy along with the other commercial contractors will pay what 'the going rate' with respect to government guidelines, area of operation and specific job description/assignment.

Allow me to caution you on the 'tax free' issue. There are very specific guidelines that one must follow so as to take advantage of the 'tax free' status. For example, one must be out of the continental US (CONUS) 330 days [of 365] to even qualify. Additionally, only the first $83K is 'tax free.' If you are looking to get into contracting, I highly recommend that you research 'everything.'

Although I am sure that you have gained a great deal of experience in the 'Level 2 Trauma Center' you referenced, you need to appreciate and understand that there is an incredible difference between 'conventional' medicine, which you are experienced in and 'unconventional, out-of-hospital' medicine that is an absolutely 180 degree difference.

I highly recommend that you obtain a significant amount of training in Tactical Combat Casualty Care [based] courses and test yourself to see if you can perform to standard. Should you find this to be your nitch, then build on it with passion. Do not let it be a flash-in-the-pan per se.

Contractors such as Triple canopy are only going to tap into those medics with operational experience and a significant training dosier.

Good luck to you!

DC

• Like 3

I also would like to emphasize that the 83K is only tax free if you spend a significant amount of time OCONUS. That means no bumping the nasty with the wife in the United States when you take leave. I learned that one the hard way.

I would also emphasize the fact that the operational environment in Iraq or Afghanistan (where I worked) is significantly different from anything that you have ever encountered. Many of the medications have different names and routes, any medications are used that you would never see used in the USA ( Isosorbide and sufentanyl infusions anybody), and the operating tempo is quite different. In addition, a working knowledge of primary care, medical intelligence, epidemiology, and diagnostics is mandatory.

Depending on your job, operational experience is a must as stated above. I was not an "operator;" however, we still worked in the non-permissive environment and spent much time behind the wire, therefore operational experience was still needed.

Good luck and as stated research and have a good idea of what you are getting into. I learned valuable lessons the hard way. This is a money driven business, and with money comes all the various problems that accompany such a concept. Unfortunately, it's pretty tough dealing with said problems when you need to worry about planning a route of travel, kidnapping, firefights, IED's and VBIED's.

EDIT:Welcome to EMT city DCHealth.

Good luck and take care,

chbare.

Edited by chbare
  • Like 1

The others have covered it nicely, be advised TC is one of the top notch security/medic firms because they are extremely competitive and selective with their hiring. The majority of their staff are former military and the medics are typically 18Deltas, SEALS, IDC, etc.

There are plenty of other contractors that you would have a better chance of employment with IF you had more experience. Being a new medic is going to limit you severely, as most companies will not even give you consideration until you have had 3-5 years in busy ALS setting. Being a medic overseas is nothing like the states and certainly no place to cut your teeth as the price to pay with your mistakes is far superior than your mistakes made CONUS. You are it, there is no med control, there is no one to call for help. People die if you do not know your shit, plain and simple. Add in the austere nature of the environment, the hostile activity, constant security threats and the lack of knowledge of your typical medic in things such as suturing, ENT exams, primary care calls, a new medic will flounder immediately and no employer will take the chance of hiring such most times anyways...

The others have covered it nicely, be advised TC is one of the top notch security/medic firms because they are extremely competitive and selective with their hiring. The majority of their staff are former military and the medics are typically 18Deltas, SEALS, IDC, etc.

There are plenty of other contractors that you would have a better chance of employment with IF you had more experience. Being a new medic is going to limit you severely, as most companies will not even give you consideration until you have had 3-5 years in busy ALS setting. Being a medic overseas is nothing like the states and certainly no place to cut your teeth as the price to pay with your mistakes is far superior than your mistakes made CONUS. You are it, there is no med control, there is no one to call for help. People die if you do not know your shit, plain and simple. Add in the austere nature of the environment, the hostile activity, constant security threats and the lack of knowledge of your typical medic in things such as suturing, ENT exams, primary care calls, a new medic will flounder immediately and no employer will take the chance of hiring such most times anyways...

AK maybe you forgot to mention with CPS or EOD teams that there is no medivac bird on call there is very little back up and if your not with a very tight team ... YOU could be the one that gets whacked, and then sent back home as ashes with no pomp or spender to your mommy .... am looking for Jerrys book and website "Give Me Shelter" or something like that ??? A list of those KIA on a grander scale that what CNN announces. I lost the link with new plastic brain ... Triple Canopy hires Mercs, ex SAS, ex FFL, ex Para Rescue and a variety of rather hardened but very experienced medic operators.

cldutcher: If you are looking to "work offshore" have at it and try these site(s) to get your feet wet first.

http://www.winterharbor.net/offshore3.html

http://www.globalmedicine.net/

http://www.frontiermedical.co.uk/

http://www.internationalsos.com/en/index.htm?CFID=26813369&CFTOKEN=97619394

cheers and good luck

cldutcher,

Brother head the warnings........

Triple Canopy is a top notch service. However, like previously stated, they pay the going rate to the most qualified.

Also, I can personally atest. Not all interactions between Military and Contractors oversee's are good ones. Things happen, people get hurt. Understand what you are getting into. TC has a better reputation than most, but be very cautious.

Have you looked into any other agencies? Although they are on the chopping block once again (Black Water). The last time I checked they had a training program for people in your situation (motivation/willingness, but no experience). I would at least consider this as an option. Getting your foot in the door, is always the first step.

Good Luck, be safe........and remember to duck.

cheers

• Like 2

Just my 2-cents worth of knowledge - Be aware that, aside from what the others have stated concerning extreme differences in protocols, tempo and risk, hiring qualifications for most positions are very specific for all companies. I've looked at numerous positions and with 6-yrs experience as line medic with an infantry outfit with a tour under my belt, including a CMB and EFMB, I don't qualify for almost any position. They are looking for serious operational experience such as SpecOps medics. I've been blown-up, shot at and have fired back, but a straight-up 91/68W doesn't cut it. If you're really interested, Comprehensive Health Services seems to have the liberal requirements, with more positions behind the wire. At the very least, requirement or not, a good TEMS course would most definitely be in your best interest. Providing care in those conditions is an entirely different ball game. Good luck!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I just had another question I wanted to piggy back on. Im currently a FMF corpsman, just came back from afghanistan and served w/ marines in a combat zone, I took fire and had members in my convoy blown up numerous times. I was also a 911 emt for about 3 years and a paramedic for 2. I know triple canopy is one of the big boys of the contract world are there lesser services that have great pay. Im just looking for some points of contact or if someone can just shine some light on this for me. I have another 2 years, im currently in japan but ill be done w/ my service soon and just want to try and line something up.

Thanks

Did some work for TC generally good group and company.

I just had another question I wanted to piggy back on. Im currently a FMF corpsman, just came back from afghanistan and served w/ marines in a combat zone, I took fire and had members in my convoy blown up numerous times. I was also a 911 emt for about 3 years and a paramedic for 2. I know triple canopy is one of the big boys of the contract world are there lesser services that have great pay. Im just looking for some points of contact or if someone can just shine some light on this for me. I have another 2 years, im currently in japan but ill be done w/ my service soon and just want to try and line something up.

Thanks

The "biz" is shrinking so dont put all your eggs in one basket. PM me for some contact info.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.