Home Remedies homework assignment

Lone Star

Lone, a couple of local remedies I've run across come to mind.

Gargling bleach for a sore throat. Seen that more than once.

Saw one local idiot use a q-tip in battery acid to remove warts.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

they used to use LSD and Cocaine to treat patients too

LSD was actually developed to treat schizophrenia, University of Berkly Ca if I can recall correctly.

late edit ... wrong ... a better qualifier:

Introduced by Sandoz Laboratories as a drug with various psychiatric uses, LSD quickly became a therapeutic agent that appeared to show great promise. However, the emerging recreational use of the drug in Western society during the mid-twentieth century led to a political firestorm that resulted in the banning of the substance.[7] A number of organizations—including the Beckley Foundation, MAPS, Heffter Research Institute and the Albert Hofmann Foundation—exist to fund, encourage and coordinate research into its medicinal uses.[8]

Cocaine was in the product we now call "Coke" no wonder it was "refreshing in the 30s something"

Opium and tincture of THC and liquid Cocaine were available at the general store ... way back when.

Present day EMS myths:

LSB prevent further spinal injury.

Trandelenburg actually works.

You married Tniugs? LOL, there are way too many "conditions" to list!!!!

Not anymore Thanks ... was thinking a spark would make the witch burn ... my bad ?

cheers

Saw one local idiot use a q-tip in battery acid to remove warts.

I bet that actually worked :o

Edited by tniuqs

Vinegar if used improperly can hurt you but it works great for heartburn 1 teaspoon in a glass of water and it soothes burns no idea why. Laundnum (sp) was given for everything with alot of od's. Arsenic was used for arthritis, freaky. And today's rage is everybody needs a hose shoved up there butt. In with the herbs out with the gerbils. Go figure

Vinegar if used improperly can hurt you but it works great for heartburn 1 teaspoon in a glass of water and it soothes burns no idea why. Laundnum (sp) was given for everything with alot of od's. Arsenic was used for arthritis, freaky. And today's rage is everybody needs a hose shoved up there butt. In with the herbs out with the gerbils. Go figure

Laundanum IS tincture of Opium.

Arsenic was used to treat syphilis ... and it did work too, if it didn't kill you first.

Coffee grounds Hi Colonic was and still is used in Mexico for treatment for colon cancer.

cheers

Going back to the butter on burns...

First, there is the issue of the pain the patient is going to endure, removing the butter from the burn, in addition to the pain from the burn in the first place.

Second, why would anyone want to sautee a burn?

Neither one of those remedies are lethal. People will put their foot in kerosene after stepping on a nail to prevent tetanus. It does work.

The other treatment you mentioned is called candelling. A wax cone is used. When the larger end is lit, a vacuum is created that pulls wax and other debri from the ear canal.

That's an interesting assignment and it will be fun to look some stuff up.

Any scientific proof that it stops tetanus? And I have soaked my foot for that reason but is there real scientific proof?

Plus I have also heard of people taking kerosene orally.

And the ear deal could be very warm experience especially if you have on hair spray.

And the ear deal could be very warm experience especially if you have on hair spray.

There was actually a woman that lived in my town who bought the kit to use on her ears. She fell asleep and actually caught her hair on fire. Luckily her husband came home and was able to put out the fire. She suffered pretty severe burns.

What I'm looking for is any 'home remedy' that usually ends up with harmful or lethal end results.

From what I've been able to get so far is things like the 'ear candling' for ear aches. Problem there (if the candle doesn't burn you) is that you can actually lose your hearing, using kerosene/benzine or turpentine for lice, spraying a 50/50 mixture of water and hydrogen peroxide to 'unplug the sinuses' for cold sufferers, I've heard of it being used in place of feminine hygene.

There was actually a case in South Carolina where a licensed doctor ended up giving a patient an IV containing hydrogen peroxide as a 'cure' for Lyme Disease.

Further searching has revealed a 'natural cure' for Hepatitus B, and the use of belladonna (nightshade) to treat a host of maladies. The only problem there is that belladonna is poisonous; even in it's 'homeopathic strength'.

Then there's the 'blue man' from ingesting colloidal silver to treat everything from fungal infections to HIV and hepatitus and cancer.

As for the 'American vs 'non American'' remedies, there was no limitations. I would like to try to stay with the more 'modern applications' if I could.

From what I'm finding out, in most cases I have to ask....."WTF were they thinking????" :o:o:o:o

Way back when, they used kerosene as a cough remedy. My mother and her ten brothers and sisters had whooping cough, this was in the 1920's, and the Dr. gave them a couple of drops of kerosene in a teaspoon of sugar to soothe the cough. The other remedy they used to was EAT Vicks Vapo Rub. :rolleyes2:

Ah stupid abounds ... the Hydrogen peroxide IV is not restricted to Carolina btw it has been used world wide.

The WHO did a release on it it .... I will look through my files LS.

May want to try 1000 ways to die .. on Spike channel (for entertainment) and was watching it the other day OMG amazing how stupid people are ... BUT it does keep us employed.

cheers