Need some EMT b test guidance

Bamx

Hey guys my name is Derek and I've been taking my EMT b course for about a month now.

I've been lurking these forums for a while and this seems to be the most active board on the forums.

My first "mid-term" test is coming up in my class and I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips. Ive been putting a decent amount of time into the readings and labs. I feel pretty comfortable with the information but I am not the best tester. I have gotten above a 7 on all of the quizzes, but tend to get anxious on large tests.

I'm located in Rhode Island right now and the protocol can get confusing when used with the book. I've been trying to put off any protocol reading until the class is over as alot of the numbers are different. We are told the tests come straight from the book. post-23144-1245956188_thumb.png

Thanks ahead for any tips.

-Derek

Hey guys my name is Derek and I've been taking my EMT b course for about a month now.

I've been lurking these forums for a while and this seems to be the most active board on the forums.

My first "mid-term" test is coming up in my class and I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips. Ive been putting a decent amount of time into the readings and labs. I feel pretty comfortable with the information but I am not the best tester. I have gotten above a 7 on all of the quizzes, but tend to get anxious on large tests.

I'm located in Rhode Island right now and the protocol can get confusing when used with the book. I've been trying to put off any protocol reading until the class is over as alot of the numbers are different. We are told the tests come straight from the book. post-23144-1245956188_thumb.png

-Derek

Try not to worry Derek... I know that is easier said than done, but you're going to do much better if you can relax. I just finished my EMT-B course and passed state written and practicals... I did well in the class with my cass average at 96%. I passed both state tests first time around with no problems at all. I think the key is to have fun with the class and try to lighten everyones moods and everyone kinda work as a team to help each other. If you're thinking about helping someone else with their anxiety and problems you'll probably find yourself thinking about your own a lot less... Good luck bud.

Don't worry about your local protocols right now. Protocols vary greatly from place to place and don't always jive with national standards. For right now, just learn the book. That's what you will be tested on.

Good luck.

What seems to for me is to look at it differently. Instead of looking at it as a graded test for class, I look at it as a way for me to gauge my own knowledge and zero in on what I need to work on. Of course, this might be easier for me because I started it in high school, but I think it would be worth a shot.

This is the best site you will ever find, though it will probably be deleted, take 3 w's then just behind them type the words rescueexams then and only then place a nice little ( . )dot, and you never want to forget the com that is a great end to it all, sign up its free tests it will show you where your strong and weak points are, it also has a great section for minimum standards.

Look in the download section of this site i just posted a couple of PDF files that will help you on certain topics like airway and breathing and soft tissue injuries. I hope they help

-Derek

Usually midterm exams are cumlative as to what was taught to you so far in the course, I would ask you instructor if it is cumlative or just what you have learned since your last test. I live in Louisiana and we have the toughest EMS classes in the country. We had many people in our class from other states as far as Alsaska. Ours was cumlative. I know that some states do not require that method of testing. Best thing is to ask your instructor or another student who has already taken the class. That should give you a better idea of what to expect from the test. Don't let your nerves get the best of you, just do the best you can. GOOD LUCK, Kevin

Perhaps if you could share what the test will cover, we could assist you better?

I have to echo what's been said so far:

First off, you need to relax!

You've stated that you're pulling down some pretty good marks to this point, which tells me that you're retaining more than the 'average amount' of information that has been presented.

Secondly, you need to put the protocol book down, because if it's not taken directly from 'the book', all you're going to do is confuse yourself and 'muddy the waters' at test time. Having a protocol book for your area is nice, but leave that reading until AFTER you're done with the course.

A trick that I learnd (and works for me) is the night before the test; relax, get a good nights sleep and do NOT touch those books!

Most people will try to 'cram' the night before a big test and will only end up confusing themselves further.

Don't make the 'other mistake' and hit the alcohol the night befor the test either! Granted, you may sleep like a log, but you won't be 'rested' on test day.

Don't 'read more into the question'! This is a common mistake that people make on tests. All the information you need will be in the question. A lot of people tend to 'overthink' the question and then start with the whole 'they COULD mean this...', or 'they MIGHT be referring to this.....' This will be your worst enemy! Take each question as it's presented!

If the test is multiple choice, you can pretty much guarantee that 2 of the answers are dead WRONG. Eliminate those first. That will bring you down to 2 or 3 options. Here is where you rely on your training, and choose the best answer.

I hope this helps.

Good luck! :thumbsup:

Well thanks for all the advise guys! I ended up getting a 90! I'm also doing very well in our lab. I have put alot of effort into this course and I really enjoy EMS. I can not wait to get into the field!