Ambulance Crash - Austin, Texas

Dustdevil

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You call that a medium sized ambulance? God by our standard that thing is a freaking monstrosity, I'd hate to see a "big" ambulance! :lol:

The Chassis is Medium Duty, thus the term. Heavby duty would be in the range of the 18 wheelers. Light duty are the E150-450 chassis Dont know where the 550 chassis falls.

Hey, Niftymedi911, that Mount Horeb Rescue vehicle that you posted? Is that considered a medium or heavy rescue?

I'd say it's the same height and width of the FDNY Rescue companies, but a few feet shorter. FDNY Rescue Companies usually don't transfer patients, they leave that to me and mine in the FDNY EMS Command (Rescue, Hazmat, and a few other specialty units are a part of the FDNY Special Operations Command).

rescue40.jpg

Try that one for size Kiwi.........

The Ford 550's are a much more feasible platform.

Why am I not surprised they're a volunteer BLS only service? Why the frack do you need a rig that big for BLS?! Maybe spend that money on some ALS coverage or even two reasonably sized ambulances? And look at that cab; what exactly do you need 4 basics on a crew for? This VFD has as many apparatus (not counting EMS) than the paid professional department in my city of 80 000 people. Waste of tax payer money, big time.

Why am I not surprised they're a volunteer BLS only service? Why the frack do you need a rig that big for BLS?! Maybe spend that money on some ALS coverage or even two reasonably sized ambulances? And look at that cab; what exactly do you need 4 basics on a crew for? This VFD has as many apparatus (not counting EMS) than the paid professional department in my city of 80 000 people. Waste of tax payer money, big time.

It's also a rescue vehicle that will respond to accidents and provide extrication, along with everything else a rescue company will perform. Having ambulance written on it, only means there are EMT's on board. You see fire engines with the same thing.

Check out their site. They cover an area of 17000 people that's mostly rural. They have the following apparatus:

- 3 Pumpers

- 1 Rescue Squad

- 1 Ladder

- 2 SUV's

- 1 Crown Vic

- 1 Brush truck

AND the two gigantic Ambulances

Take a close look at the compartments on those ambulances too, they're not carrying a tonne of equipment in there. I stand-by by big frigging waste of tax payer money comment.

In comparison, the town of Cobourg in the county I've been riding in has 18 200 people. They have a paid department with volunteers (who are paid for weekly training and all calls) as back-up. (EMS provided by County Third Service; 1x24hr ALS and 1x12hr ALS Ambulance just for Cobourg)

Their apparatus includes

- 2 pumpers

- 1 mini-pumper/light rescue

- 1 Ladder

- 2 SUV's

City of Peterborough (where I live) 74 800 people has an entirely paid department at three main stations and a back-up airport station. (EMS provided by County with 5 24hr ALS Ambulances and 1 12hr ALS Ambulance within the city)

Their FD apparatus includes

- 4 pumpers

- 1 ladder

- 3 SUV's

- 1 Brush truck

- 1 Water rescue trailer

- 1 Special Ops (HAZMAT, trench, confined space) trailer

- 2 public education and inspection vehicles

- 1 crash tender (reserve) at the airport

Maybe our area's drastically underserved and I don't realize it, but I look at this VFD and I see a tonne of wasted money in all the wrong areas.

It's also a rescue vehicle that will respond to accidents and provide extrication, along with everything else a rescue company will perform. Having ambulance written on it, only means there are EMT's on board. You see fire engines with the same thing.

No wonder the public is so confused.

I stand-by by big frigging waste of tax payer money comment.

If the tax payers fund it.. Not all areas are lucky to be tax payer funded. Not that I agree with the massive vehicles. Even their fire apparatus, I never compare one area to another, because I don't know what the needs are for the area they cover. Clearly, they have big trucks. But look at them, and then look at the specs. Huge ass trucks, not really that much water. 1,000; 2,000gal tanks on monstrous trucks. Our tanker is smaller than their largest engine, and it carries more water. My guess is, they turned a heavy rescue into an ambulance.

The decorations. That's a waste of money.

Edited by 4c6

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.