Soldier commits suicide after failing last chance at EMT test

Dustdevil

I know for fact as I dated a couple of those truly depressed people.

Of course they were not that depressed till after you started dating. *Jokes*

No disrespect to the thread, my thoughts are with her family.

Tragedy

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like theres nothing else shr could do in the army, first of all what the hell is this old chick in the military for anyway, second there are other jobs, Iam not buying it that you can get so down for a failing a test, its just a test.

I find this very offensive this statement is one of the most unprofessional one I have read on here in along time. Man YOU need to grow up. You really need to learn human compassion might want to try it it goes a LONG WAY!

I find this very offensive this statement is one of the most unprofessional one I have read on here in along time. Man YOU need to grow up. You really need to learn human compassion might want to try it it goes a LONG WAY!

Amen.

This is very sad.

Thoughts and prayers.

Terri Stupid is as stupid does. Bad form Diazepam

Like theres nothing else shr could do in the army, first of all what the hell is this old chick in the military for anyway, second there are other jobs, Iam not buying it that you can get so down for a failing a test, its just a test.

That's what I was thinking. Is she really psychologically stable to be providing care to citizens in the community. But who are we to really pass on a judgement and have we really considered all the factors? Suicide is selfish,but to factor in kids to it is just perpetual. I feel bad for them,not her.

Let's see. If I don't pass my NR paramedic testing it will really screw up my plans for the future. It is the one thing I have been looking forward to for quite a while now. After both my husband and I got laid off (it was paying for my school), he got cancer and the rest of our world came to a stand still -I need to pass the damned test. How much more stress could this woman have been under than that!?! Our brain can get away from us if we put too much stress/pressure on ourselves, and the military system for dealing with people in need of counsel is still in it's infancy. Those of us that are so 'cheerful' and 'encouraging' to the outside world are often insecure about our own abilities. I know I am.

I'm thinking that there were other mitigating factors that this soldier didn't share with anyone else. Had she come to our station, anyone of us would have spoken at length with her and even helped with studying. It's a damned shame she made the choice she did.

But we have to remember that each human being is different. Some of us have excellent coping skills to deal with the pressures and crap life throws us and some dont. Yes it is a shame but like everything else as sad it is to say this its all the personal pereception of how people deal and cope and what they can and can not handle. This is very sad, But ultimately she made the decision she felt best for her.

Prayers and thoughts to the ones left behind. May they find the peace they will seek later on.

• 3 weeks later...

The NREMT testing is stressful enough. Being in the military with the threat of being shipped back home adds even more stress. It sounds like she had a rough couple of years to add to the stress.

As someone else mentioned, the military has shown it is poorly equipped to handle stress (combat or otherwise). God Bless her for the dedication.

I wonder about this:

...The elder Askew said her daughter came to the Army after losing custody of her children, Dayne and Chase. Sandra Askew said her daughter divorced in the late 1990s and years later lost custody after an incident when one of the children was spanked. She said a visitation battle continued, with Askew rarely getting to see the children...

Lost custody due to a spanking? I think there is more to that story. But regardless, whatever the issues, she seemed to be trying hard to live a life helping & serving others. She obviously put great pressure on herself, and felt there was no other way out. How sad for her, her kids, and her family.

Someone mentioned suicide is a selfish act. Sometimes it is, it is the ultimate F*** You. But there are other cases when this isn't true.

I think this is one of them.

Edited by chaser

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.