Best Paying States for EMS

emt217

Sounds like you're on the right track, emt217. I'm still in school, but I've done a little bit of market research around here. From the medics I've spoken too, pay is pretty good(35-45K at hire dependent on experience) with good benefits not included in that total for most of the cities around here. A few are higher pay, but much more dangerous/difficult working environment. However, those jobs tend to be few and far between. The city I'm actually living in, I'll probably work as a hospital tech($12+/hour) or on a private transport($14+/hour) until a spot opens and the race starts to snag it. In the meantime, you can always run as a volunteer paramedic until that spots opens which gives you a huge advantage on getting it in addition to keeping your skills sharp. They are also looking at expanding the paid positions so in the next year or so several spots could open at once. Several of the surrounding cities have paid medic positions that would be easier to get. I haven't looked at them as closely just because I'd prefer to stay closer to home, but I can ask around next Wednesday as several of my proctors work in these other cities and I'll let you know what I find.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to see the 10 worst paying -HA! I'm sure Southern California would top that list. The average salary is around $13/hour in the private sector; some starting off with as little as $11/hour...ehm, AMR. Try making a living on that salary with California's cost of living.

Edited by emsboy_2000

Also beware many services that claim high hourly wages also require free standby often equal to the number of hours worked so you get paid 24 hours then you have to be available 24 more free unless called back so good chance you can cut the hourly rate in half.

Now in Texas huge range from in Paramedic pay some work free even can you believe that? :huh:

But pay actually can be less than minimum range when you factor in the free standby some have to well over $25 an hour. Now these are strictly EMS some fire may pay more but sounds like you want to be a pre hospital medical professional. If you factored in benefits (free insurance for me my family for less than a $100 more including dental and vision, great retirement, etc ) at my job we are probably over $30 an hour and cost of living is cheap.

Out of curiosity, I'd like to see the 10 worst paying -HA! I'm sure Southern California would top that list.

Nope not on it. Again this pay includes probably benefits etc.

http://www.allhealthcare.com/careers/articles/1881?page=2

• 1 year later...

We should have this kind of database here at EMT-City

Agreed I bill willing to Post honest wages for my state we should start a dedicated thread, granted I don't do the box anymore I but I can provide current numbers from friends and cohorts.

High speed medicine, low drag medic.ph34r.gif

I work in south TX. My full-time job is at a rural 911 county-based service. Pay is better than surounding areas. Paramedics start at 12.50. With cost of living raises every year around 3 percent and really great benefits. We have county provided health insurance, cancer insurance, ICU insurance, and life insurance. Also a great retirement plan. Plus uniform shirts and all CE payed for. Its a great service.

The surrounding services may pay similar but the benefits don't come close.

I also work part-time for a private service making 15 an hour.

I have friends in other states that don't make near as much as I do. I guess it's important to say that cost of living is very low where I live compared to other places.

Hope this helps.

You are making a big mistake if you base your job search on hourly pay:

1. The places with the highest pay rate will also be the states with the highest cost of living. I am sure New York and California will rate high in pay, but a one bedroom home will cost you three times what it costs in other states.

2. There is probably a catch. If a system is paying far above the norm, it is probably because they HAVE TOO, to attract you. This means you will probably run twice the normal call volume, or work in an area that is similar to a combat zone.

3. The pay rate may be higher because of the hours worked. If you are paid $10.00/hour on a 24/48, you will earn 28,600 per year. If that same system has traditional 40 hour week positions and pay the same yearly salary, the reported hourly rate for that job would be $14.01/hour, but it is still just $28k.

Rather than chase $$$$, find the area you want to live in, the company you believe in that also matches your values and desires, and learn to live within the income that system produces. There is nothing worse than being trapped in a city or pay rate that you can not afford to quit.

• Like 1

It depends; rural, urban, suburban..... I worked in Westchester County, NY $19/hr. I worked in Rockland County, NY $22/hr. I worked in Orange County, NY $19/hr... I worked in various NYC Hospital 911, $23/hr to $29/hr.... As a Manager, I am not disclosing but it's a lot more than $29/hr..... Good luck; finish school first...... Its tough for EMTs and EMT-Ps to find jobs in NYC.....

It's also hard to use an hourly rate as most EMS schedules allow plenty of OT. I work a 48 hour on/72 hour off schedule, so one pay check I am guaranteed 12 hours of OT that usually turns into more depending on the call volume. I know many EMS services around in the area that also guarantee OT.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.