Private Amb. Companies in NYC

Hey guys I am new to the board and I wil be graduating medic school in the summer and I just wanted to know about private amb. companies in Ny. I am planning to relocate in the near future to work for one of the companis in one of the 5 Boroughs up there. Are their any good companies to work for, do they offer good benefits, union, good pay, flexible scheduling etc. I also wouldn't also mind working in the outskirts of the city to. I heard about a couple so far Transcare, and Citiwide ambulance, does anybody know if there good companies. All information is greatly appreciated. :mellow:

Well I cant answer your questions because I am not from NY but I can WELCOME YOU TO THE CITY!!!!!!!

I am sure that some one can help you out.

Transcare

AMR

CityWide

Senior Care

Assist

Midwood

Northshore

Hunter ambulance

Hunter EMS

Just to name the private companies, there are also hospital based EMS.

None are union, all the benefits stink, all offer flexible scheduling to my knowledge.

If you need more help or specifics please Just ask exactly what you want to know.

Please note that Hunter Ambulance/Ambulette Service, and Hunter EMS, are separate, unaffiliated services.

Note also, that one of those services listed, locally is called "Trans-SCARE".

Transcare, AMR, and, I think, one other not listed, are under subcontracts to certain hospitals to provide both BLS and ALS ambulances and crews to the FDNY run 9-1-1 system in NYC (within the 5 counties that make up the city), marked with both the hospital and the service provider's names on the sides of the ambulances. Some hospitals provide their own BLS and ALS ambulances and crews, also marked with the hospital's name on the side, to the NYC 9-1-1 system, also.

Hunter EMS is a 9-1-1 system provider in Suffolk County, NY.

As noted here, and elsewhere in EMT City, FDNY EMS is union, the hospital based ambulances are also union, but a different one than FDNY EMS. The subcontracting ambulance services are, as far as I know, without any union representation.

(I'll suggest you look up community-based Volunteer Ambulances operating within NYC, either with the site's search, or Google it.)

offer good benefits, union, good pay, flexible scheduling

Yeah.. Any private company that supplies EMS.. The ones who rip us off on boxes of gauze, etc.. Not the ones who go out and get the sick people.

marked with both the hospital and the service provider's names on the sides of the ambulances.

My ambulance only says "mount sinai" or "NYU" etc... no where on the 9-1-1 subcontract units does it say transcare, and we aren't permitted to wear anything that says transcare, come to think about it the only thing that says transcare is my check lol

My ambulance only says "mount sinai" or "NYU" etc... no where on the 9-1-1 subcontract units does it say transcare, and we aren't permitted to wear anything that says transcare

Well, that must be new, or at least not come into Queens or Kings County areas that I am aware of.

It would make sense to say who we are contracted under, but not much about EMS makes sense

In New York City in general, not just EMS...

If it makes sense, it's against someone's rules, regulations, or the law!

hey guys thanks for the replies, judging from what you guys told me, it looks like particurally all ambulance companies are not that different nationwide, only difference is the pay. I work for one down here in florida and it is no differeent from the companies I heard mentioned in the thread. All of them seem to work of off capitalism. I thought it would be easy to find a good paying, union-organized, good benefit company to work for up there. Oh well i guess the best thing for working for a ambulance company is that at least you have a half stable job in the recession. I can see why some people are going for thier RN after medics school, different strokes for different folks i guess.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.