Did I miss something?

itku2er

You are called to a LTC facality. You have the following patitent

73 yo male sitting in a wheel chair is drooling and both hands are shaking. Patient is talking but not making sense. He looks at you and says

I really like you but you are a duck and ducks are dirty and smell.

BP 160/60

HR 120

RESP 24

Temp 98.9

BS 177

The report you get from the nurse is as follows.

Patient was sitting in his wc when all the sudden he started shaking and drooling he wouldnt talk just stared into space. Not able to follow verbal commands. Nurse stated onset of symptoms were 5 min before 911 was called.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why you are asking did i miss something.....what are you wanting to know?? Or were you just telling us? :) Have a good night.

Facial droop? Arm drift? Do we have any past history for him? Actually, let me get a full sample. The nurse said he was staring of and not speaking, but now he's speaking, just not making sense. How long has he been speaking again? Any slurring? Also, any signs of trauma?

Edited by Jeepluv77

Facial droop? Arm drift? Do we have any past history for him? Actually, let me get a full sample. The nurse said he was staring of and not speaking, but now he's speaking, just not making sense. How long has he been speaking again? Any slurring? Also, any signs of trauma?

No facial droop Arm lift was normal. He is now talking yes but before he wasnt responding at all just staring into space.

No truama and no slurred speech.

Past medical history: DM CHF COPD Mild hypertention Has a history of being a patient in the Hendersons Research Center.

Edited by itku2er

No facial droop Arm lift was normal. He is now talking yes but before he wasnt responding at all just staring into space.

No truama and no slurred speech.

Past medical history: DM CHF COPD Mild hypertention Has a history of Hendersons disease.

ALS available? If so, EKG?

Are vitals taken by us for the nursing staff?

ALS available? If so, EKG?

Are vitals taken by us for the nursing staff?

The crew is a Paramedic EMT B and EMT I

You take the VS and they are close to the ones the NH staff took.

I would think this one is a cerebral case - and would probably stay convinced until proven otherwise by a negative CAT. Sitting on the toilet -> intra cranial pressure (?), drooling, speech problems. Blood sugar levels at 177? Is that a normal figure in the US (normal in Norway: 3,5-6,0)?

If he was far from hospital, we'd heli him in. If by car, IV saline, O2 as long as SAT<94%. Paracetamol 1000mg rectally. That's all normal procedure for me, though.

Can't see how I would have treated or viewed the pt in any other way.

EDIT: EKG? Pupils?

I'd administer some Metaklopramid (anti-nausea) as well, as a profylactic.

Edited by vetlemakt

EKG-1.jpg

Oh dear. Inferior wall MI. Lead III has taller ST elevation than lead II, so I would want to rule out any right-sided involvement, in spite of the decent B/P at this point

Edited by scott33