Need Some Help With Learning Emt Basic Drugs

liz

Actually I would be interested to hear what eight drugs EMTs are giving in other parts of the country. I can only think of a few: oxygen, oral glucose, epi pen, activated charcoal.... maybe assist with nebs, ASA, and NTG? I donno what else.

O2, ASA (non-pts own), oral glucose, glucagon, Epi (pen, ampule draw, or neb depending on the situation), APAP, NTG (pts own w/ MC), Albuterol (by neb, non-pts own), charcoal, ipecac (supposedly on it's way out), Mark I kits, and calcium gluconate gel.

Post your state so some of can look up the info but hope this help:

Under the US DOT 1994 EMT-Basic National Standard Curriculum an EMT-B is allowed to administer or help a patient self-administer the following medications:

Oxygen

Activated Charcoal (Medical Direction Required)

Oral Glucose

Epi-Pen (PT Assist & Medical Direction Required)

Metered-Dose Inhalers (PT Assist & Medical Direction Required)

Nitroglycerin (PT Assist & Medical Direction Required)

(Taken from Emergency Care and Transport of the Sick and Injured 9th Edition Chapter 10 - General Pharmacology page 349)

Personal Note: Some states also allow nasal administration of Narcan, and Nebulized Albuterol

Hope this helps

Hand write a card with the following:

1. Generic name

2. Brand Name

3. Classification - may be more than one

4. Sub-classification - may be more than one

5. Actions/theraputic effects

6. Indications for use

7. Contraindications

8. Adverse reactions/side effects

9. Interactions with other drugs

10. Adult dosages

11. Pedi dosages

12. Precautions

13. Overdose management - even if something you can not do.

Then carry them with you and read them every free moment you get. Then quiz yourself by writing all the above by memory. Do this from day one and you will know your drugs. It is good practice to do this with every drug your service carrys even if you can not push them so you will be a better partner.

When I was in medic class, I made up cards containing much the same stuff, but including a COLOR picture of the drug container (vial, ampule, bristojet, etc) above the descriptions.