What do you think?

MedicAsh

Ok we have an emt that was working on 2 services. This person got fired from one service because or wreckless driving and patient endangerment. Now say this person is on your service and this happened. Should they be allowed to continue working on the other service without any questions?

Sorry if this is not clear. Please ask questions if it is not clear.

Ok we have an emt that was working on 2 services. This person got fired from one service because or wreckless driving and patient endangerment. Now say this person is on your service and this happened. Should they be allowed to continue working on the other service without any questions?

Sorry if this is not clear. Please ask questions if it is not clear.

I think it all depends. reckless driving is just an opinion. was he actually cited for it? did he wreck? and a bigger issue is, what did he do to endanger the patient? was it his driving habits that put them in danger or actually a patient care problem?

How do you know exactly why they were fired? If there is more than one person in the chain of information you recieved then you are operating on rumors, and no one is going to thank you for accusing someone of something you can't verify.

What will be the boss and crew's reaction when it becomes obvious that you're trying to torpedo someone you don't like as opposed to trying to protect the company?

I'd answer these questions before moving forward if I were you.

Dwayne

It is almost always wise to investigate the source of any smoke you see before just blindly blasting it with water. Likewise, as an employer, I am not usually inclined to take internal action based upon external accusations, rumours, and innuendo without first getting to the bottom of the issue myself. Too many times in EMS, I have seen people followed around by such baseless nonsense, when in reality, there was no fire accompanying the smoke.

If you are going to go around blowing smoke, you had better be willing and able to lead me to a real fire, otherwise, you are the problem, not him.

You cant just up and fire someone for what they did off-duty unless it was an illegal activity, or an activity that is forbidden by your policy-procedure manual PRIOR to the event. If he has a clean record at your facility, and you fire him with no documentation, you open yourself up to all kinds of trouble. I would want to know what the patient endangerment was just for my own knowledge as his supervisor, but the other employer should not tell you why he got fired, as it should be confidential.

What you can do is talk to his partners, and enquire about his driving ability, or you can follow him on calls and transports to witness his driving habits. Once you determine there is a problem, you should follow the progressive disciplinary process with him, if he does not improve, then you can move towards firing him. He may very well straighten up now that he has been fired from one place. But if you are a supervisor, and you have knowledge of dangerous behaviors, you have a responsibility to follow up to insure that you protect your employees and patients.

Neither would be necessary if I were his partner. You toss me around the truck -- loaded or not -- while driving, and I will snitch your arse out after the second shift. If his partners are not snitching him out, he either is not guilty, or else you have an organisation-wide problem, not just one lame player. Either way, you need to find this out for yourself, not listen to rumours.

actually the poster stated he got fired for "wreckless" driving, isnt that what we all strive for ?

:lol: I've gotten so used to that misspelling here that I hardly notice it anymore!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.