• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

Did you know it is free to become a member?  Just click "Create Account" on the top right of this page.

Photo

Epi IM vs SQ

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 iMac

iMac
  • Chat Room Moderator
  • 511 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:09 PM

I have always been told IM Epi is the most ideal because of the absorbtion rate. If anyone is willing to take a couple mins to go in further detail with this one. Are there more reasons as to why you would choose IM vs SQ? absorption, less side effects? contraindications? situations where you might prefer SQ?

Thanks everyone.

#2 Doug

Doug
  • Members
  • 123 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:16 PM

Think about why you would be giving Epi. The person most likely is in shock and is "shunting." The first area the body shunts from is from the skin. So a SQ injection doesn't have the circulatory support to be absorbed. Muscle, especially the larger muscle masses you would be giving the IM injection to, shunt later.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but shunting starts with skin, digestive,muscle, kidney, resp, heart then brain.

#3 spenac

spenac
  • Elite Members
  • 6,714 posts
Excellent

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:34 PM

Just as a side point have you noticed how far the needle in an epi pen pops out? It is actually probably an IM injection in most people rather than SQ.

#4 akflightmedic

akflightmedic
  • Moderators
  • 2,180 posts
  • Interests:Learning repeatedly from my past mistakes
Excellent

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:40 PM

Just as a side point have you noticed how far the needle in an epi pen pops out? It is actually probably an IM injection in most people rather than SQ.

Isn't an epi pen supposed to be IM?

#5 iMac

iMac
  • Chat Room Moderator
  • 511 posts
Neutral

Posted 27 January 2009 - 03:54 PM

Yes they are but that wasn't the question. Epi pens as far as I have known to be are all made to be an IM administration (family member has had them for years). I want to understand if there is more underlying reason as to the reasoning behind why one was preferred vs the other than what I already knew (Cough, which isn't much).
So other than the absorption rate, there are no other reasons as to why you might differ from IMs then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users