Paramedic awarded for selfless act

BEorP

[i know my agency doesn't want us to be dumbasses on scene, Ricky Rescues, or wannabe-heros....but the managers are also all human and probably wouldn't discipline us if it came to such an intense decision.

Employers are concerned about the legal side of an off duty employee being injured while doing something that is similar to what that employee does for them. Many interpret their jobs as an implied "duty to act", even if there is no statute mandating it, as meaning 24/7. This can be true for some professions and some very specific agencies in a few states. But even if there is no such duty, employees may still try to sue their employers for workmen's comp.

Florida had a FF killed off duty in 2002 while assisting at an accident. His death set case law and clarified a previous bill signed by Jeb Bush with a statute change for the off duty and workmen's comp situation. Now off duty employees of government agencies (FD, county or city EMS) can collect if injured while performing in a manner similar to their job.

If someone believes risking their life is worth it, that's their choice. As bad as it may sound, I can see myself riskng my life to save a friend or family member, but I doubt I would for a complete stranger. Sometimes the trade off isn't worth it (see: Joe Delaney). However, I can't say for sure as I have not been in that situation.

I think that's kind of what it comes down too. The best way I can see to differentiate dumb versus hero is whether you put others at risk when putting your life on the line AND how reasonable the action you took was.

Running into a burning building to see if anyone's in there.

(Who knows if anyone's in there & you're making other rescuers go in after you)

VS

Climbing into seat of a car to pull out someone who WILL burn alive within seconds is another.

(Your actions are directly preventing driver's death & not significantly putting others at risk.)

Like I said, it's hard to explain it. And it's all a gradient.

To be fair, many people are called heroes in the media when they should be called dumbasses (Guy who disarms someone robbing the gas station . . . versus guy who disarms someone actively shooting gas station attendant) And on some level, I think society wants those "heroes" out there... especially the person who gets saved...

Making prudent decisions that cause minimal risk to rescuers is important for preserving rescuer safety. That said...

Sometimes, you have to "cowboy up" and get it done, because it can be done no other way.

Because the risks are great, possibly ending a life, but the reward is possibly saving a human life, which is the greatest reward there is.

I'm not advocating all the whacker tendencies inside us all to jump up and take control. Life is better run -usually-, by rule #1 up there. But Rule#1 didn't cover all the possibilities.

Good on her.

'zilla

I'm mixed. Risked her and bystanders life=bad. Saved a potential fire victim=good. Sadly I have looked back at times after the fact and gone how stupid, thankfully I got away with it and the person being helped was helped. I do try to live by the rule I have to stay alive first for my family, second so I can help more than the one patient, but I guess at times we just act and hopefully it works out. How come I never get a reward for my stupidity that works out? :wink:

It's a gamble that most, if not all of us, has had to make at one time or another. You knew that you'd either be the "hero" or the one that went against to what we have all been taught and trained. And yes, it can be a very tough decision. But for most of us, and I'm guilty of, is that you don't stop and consider the consequences. In my mind I think, "Oh crap, here we go".

I've heard some say that they thought it was worth the consequences to get into trouble and be reprimanded for what was considered "going beyond the call of duty", or however you want to put it, and saved a life.

We had a kid, 19 yr. old I think, that put a couple of 2x4's across a ditch and drove his car onto them so he could change the oil. Of course there's no way that those 2x4's are going to hold for very long with the weight of a car on them. He got under there, and you can guess what happened.

When we got there he was still underneath. My first impression, since I could see that the transmission had crushed his head was that he was already gone. But felt for a pulse, he had one of about 60. That's when my usual thought of "Oh crap" came to mind. We got the car off him, but for some reason we couldn't just drag him out. Come to find out, the family called around for about 30 mins. to find someone that had a tractor or something to lift the car before they called us. So, I crawled under the with him and grabbed him by the shirt collar and got him out.

Soon after we lost his pulse, so there was some kind of tamponade going on there. Medical Control ordered to do CPR.

It was my day off and I was at my parents. At the time my father was the coordinator of the Basic vollie service. Since it was just a Basic rig I knew there was nothing I could do in back that the others weren't already doing. So I just drove. Had three in the back anyway. It was kind of frustrating.

The ER doc that day was moonlighting from my system's Resource Hospital so he knew me. Something was said to him that I went under the car he gave me a little verbal reprimand. The he said, "Good job. Keep up the good work."

A few weeks later when I was visiting and there was an EMT class going on. I stopped in to say HI to the Instructor. While there questions came up on that terrible call. And it was mentioned that I went under the car. The Instructor just shook his head and said, "Tsk, tsk, tsk." That's when he reminded them of what not to do.

BTW: Congrats and Kudos to the award recipient.

• 7 years later...

First of all I was on duty working as a first response that day, I wasn't off duty although I don't think my actions would change. 

2nd I didn't put any bystander in danger. There were many people that stopped and wanted to help. I gave one a fire extinguisher and told him to direct it at the engine, in hopes that it wouldn't spread. He was a few feet away. The drivers compartment wasnt engulfed but was filling with smoke. 

3rd The fire dept was at a different fire, so the one coming to this call was 10 mins away. 

Hope this helps for all you Mon morning quarterbacks out there that have the advantage of not being put in that situation but feel it's ok to judge others.  ? 

To everyone else, thanks for your support. 

P.S. I never did it for the recognition, nor did I want it but it was nice to get a thank you from the unconscious driver later in the day. 

Sheri

• Like 1

Welcome Sheri.

Rather unfortunate your introduction to the place was a number of armchair quarterbacks/backseat drivers. I hope you'll give the city a second chance and take the opportunity to look around while you're here.

Ed

• Like 2

Welcome Sheri and congrats on the save.  I'm trying to think of some snarky remark about it taking 8 years to find this thread (because that is what we do here) but I got nothing.  In looking over this thread I got me thinking.  We applaud and award military members for going above and beyond (and I'm not saying that is wrong, it is exactly what we should be doing) but when someone in the FD/EMS/PD does it, we put them down.  Sure, doing it is not the textbook answer but we are all human.  We got into this business to help people so it is counter-intuitive for us not to step in.  I think we all know that there are additional risks but we accept that.

Again, congrats Sheri and welcome.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.