Resume---EMT job description??

stopidrookie

50K with little overtime, Not anywhere around where I work, maybe if you worked two services fulltime and then some.

Still, with the cost of living in Atlanta area, I would think that would still be not enough money. I know for a fact that you would have to pay me much more just to live in Atlanta.

We're thinking of giving Atlanta to Alabama or Tennessee...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As stated earlier, EMT-I's can start IV's , give certain drugs, O2 etc. The course requirements for I's is not as everyone seems to assume, some short 2 month or so class, but rather a year long course, that goes into quite a bit of detail in regards to A&P, cardiology, etc.

You will find that very few people here give a rat's arse what you are "allowed" to do. Skills are the easiest part of EMS. What makes a professional provider is what they know. So, how many actual educational contact hours are involved in this course you speak of? Anyone can drag 200 hours into a year, by going a couple hours a night, two nights a week, like most lame arse schools do.

And your "quite a bit of detail" wouldn't equal a single semester of college A&P, so let's not get too carried away with the exaggerations.

Yes, if they are practising skills that they are ill educated to understand, they are useless. Worse than useless, they're dangerous.

Ahh, one wondered when Dust would weigh in, with his usual sarcasm and wit.

The course I went through, and by the way, I did take college A and P one and two, was much more than 200 hours, and that didn't include the clinical hours either.

We were required to do clinicals in the ER, med surg, and EMS.

But, with your usual rush to belittle and condemn, you really didn't read what I wrote. I did not, nor do I intend to advocate anyone staying at the EMT level. Either you progress and continue to improve and further your education and knowledge, or you need to get the hell out of EMS.

I despise mediocre medics, EMTs, nurse, and anyone else who settles for being less than the best that they can be.

That said, I have little use for blow hard jackasses that lurk this site to flaunt their self proclaimed greatness.

If the shoe fits, wear it.

Duke

Out

None of that reply seemed to have anything to do with what I stated.

To start with, I didn't ask what YOU personally took. As much as you might like it to be, this thread isn't about you. I asked what was required of the EMTI course there.

Can you try again? :?

You are perhaps right in one aspect, it isn't a post about me, nor am I intent on turning it into one.

You sir, try to turn most postings you respond to into an opportunity to spout sarcasm and and demonstrate your distain for all those who either have the audacity to disagree with you, or dare to have an opinion of their own.

Must be a sad existence...

Maybe you can heal up soon and have something else to do besides being a Forum Bully.

You are not the only one in the world who has ever done something, though I suppose by your opinion you are the only one who ever did it right.

It's all about you isn't it??

If your reading comprehension was adequate, you would have realised that my sarcasm and disdain started long before anyone disagreed with me. That's just how I roll.

Besides, I didn't see you disagreeing with me. I just saw you blathering some irrelevant drivel that had nothing to do with anything anyone was talking about. We ask about EMT-I standards, and you start mouthing off about your own personal education, as if we had called you out personally, when really, nobody cares.

Now, do you plan to make an intelligent case here, or just a personal squabble in order to divert from it?

rookie, I don't think I ever asked about your pay, quite honestly I DON'T CARE, and that is me personally. As I stated before, If you choose to make the EMT-I level a career choice you are the fool, but using it as a stepping stone is understandable so the fact that YOU have a plan is acceptable, and not that YOU need my approval, but that is what I have been saying the whole time. The fact that you felt the need to defend that level of provider fell on your shoulders. As far as you using my career as a stepping stone does bother me, BUT only if you are using it as a hobby. There are plenty of us here and abroad that make EMS a career and raise our families on it. I have no issue with you or anyone else working in this field to make the rent while your on your way to the L&D floor, but have some respect for those of us who have chosen to make this our lives, and we will help you on your way up the ladder.

sirduke, The EMT-I level is only the lazy way out of being a medic, and yes it is a simple way for one to be the "big man on the truck". It is the easy way of obtaining rank over an EMT without committing yourself to the education of being a medic. EMT-I is pulling the wool over the eyes of the people we serve....period. The public as a whole really has NO idea the difference in levels and what those letters on your collar mean. They see some lazy, uneducated EMT-I starting an IV based soley off of the "cookbook" protocols, and assume that they are medics. You stated that your plan is to further your education as well, and head off to nursing, so why did you get so damn offended by the statements made?

If you are making EMT-I your career choice, then you are lazy and on a power trip. Get off your ass an get a REAL education! If you are in this position for paying the bills so you can continue your education then fine, I understand that you may need to do this, but don't sit here and tell me or any other medic that deserves the respect of being an educated medical provider and/or professional that this level is anything other than insignificant, it isn't!

As for AK and Dust, apology requests for jumping the gun on page 1 can be made by calling 1-let-me-sleep........LOL

As for AK and Dust, apology requests for jumping the gun on page 1 can be made by calling 1-let-me-sleep........LOL

Thanks. But actually, I was going to apologise to you, both for misunderstanding what you were asking earlier, and for giving the rookie the benefit of the doubt, which she clearly didn't deserve. It's all good.

Ok, I'll take one more stab at trying aid you two in understanding something. I would surmise that it will be wasted breath, but here goes.

Firstly, as I stated before, Georgia just within the last two years recognized basic EMTs, prior to that, it was EMT Intermediate, and EMIT Paramedic. They started recognizing basics to appease the private transport companies who wanted the basics for transfer runs. I disagree with this, but wasn't my choice, as it didn't appear on any ballot.

Up to that point, if you were an EMT in Georgia, you were a Intermediate, there were, I say again, there were no Basics.

When I, and not trying to make this about me, but when I decided to get into this profession, there were no schools within 150 miles that offered the Fast Track Paramedic program. My only choice was to take the EMT course, get hired with a service, then solicit them to send me to paramedic school. The local schools require you to be referred, or "sponsored" by a service.

Going off to school was not an option for me as I have wife kids and related bills.

As for being a lazy bastard who uses EMT-I to "lord" over Basics, how is that going to happen when none of the services want Basics, nor hire them, other than the previously mentioned Private Transport services?

As for me taking offense, I guess I do yes, when people automatically assume they know everything about a states EMS, and don't even live there.

I don't see people in Georgia knowing everything about Texas EMS, or where ever Sleep is from.

But, in December, I will finish school, and being a paramedic, I guess I'll be issued my attitude and God like knowledge of all things EMS.

Just one parting thought, as my old drill instructor said, If you are the only one right, check yourself.

Think about it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.