Resume---EMT job description??

stopidrookie

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So... because someone decides they want to do Teach for America for 5 years and then go into investment banking as a long term goal, are they a schmuck for not committing to furthering the teaching profession for their entire life?

I just accepted a contingent hire for 15.20/hr as a Basic... and I don't plan to work in prehospital EMS for my entire life. Does that make me a poser? Granted, I have long term plans to help reform EMS education (you don't think this arguing and writing practice is just diversionary amusement, do you?)

Rookie, if you had lurked a while you would see that EMS pay is a hot topic, and the discrepancy between fire based and non fire based EMS wages is a sore spot with many. That's why people asked you to give us a number when you said you made "good money"... my brother thinks he's making good money making minimum wage because he can go to Starbucks and doesn't have to pay rent. I felt the same way early on in college where all I had to make was book money and spending money. "Good money" is a relative term, which is what engendered the inquiries.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Wendy, how many people teach in publics schools, for "a experience"?

Then how many of them go on to talk about how they shouldn't have to advance their education to the Masters level because they don't want to teach for ever?

Have ya ever met a college adjunct teacher or professor? Have ya?

Seriously... lots of people do Teach for America for the experience and then decide not to continue teaching.

And yes, I have heard teachers and professors bitch about their pay level compared to the classes they are teaching, even though they have a lower level degree. It's not just limited to EMS, although it is worse in EMS.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

So you can't see how transients hurt a profession?

Look at the news line on the front page. Every week theres a story about someone who is an EMT for the "buzz" they get "helping" someone.

These people don't care about the latest EMS research. They don't care about degrees for paramedics. They don't even care about saftey innovations for ambulances. They just care for what THEY get out of it.

It would be a valid argument if there were lowered standards for transient teachers, and if they were widely used by employers to avoid employing full-time professionals. There are not.

Jaysus, I leave you people alone for a few minutes and BAM, we are into name calling and hell raising.

Allow me to weigh in here for a minute, first off, being an EMT-I in Georgia does not make you able to be "big man on the truck" and boss EMT-Bs around. For the most part due to the fact that very few services here will hire basics, and the one service I know of that has a basic working for them, will not send him out with anything less than a Paramedic. So Sleeps little remark is without basis.

As stated earlier, EMT-I's can start IV's , give certain drugs, O2 etc. The course requirements for I's is not as everyone seems to assume, some short 2 month or so class, but rather a year long course, that goes into quite a bit of detail in regards to A&P, cardiology, etc.

So saying that we are a "useless" certification level, is again, without merit.

Am I happy being an EMT-I, yes and no, yes in the fact that it allowed me to get my foot in the door, and get a start on my goal. Yes in the fact that I am able to help people.

No in the fact that I realize there is so much more I could do to aid those who need help, but due to lack of education and certification, cannot at the moment.

So, what one might ask am I doing about it, I finish medic school in December, and then I'll be a Paramedic. Will I stop there, NO, I am enrolling in January to start my core classes for RN.

Do I plan to get out of EMS, not until I have to. But facing the facts, at 46, I know my time is limited in this field.

Am I making the money I want, no, but I gave up a much better paying job to go into EMS, due to the fact that I hated the job, was bored out of my mind, and ready to slit my wrist, strap on dynamite and walk into an embassy. Since I started in EMS, I have shed 75 pounds, and got my sanity back as well as having a job that I can't wait to get to work at.

What is my point? Hell, I don't know, got off on a tangent. Anyway, one of the biggest problems I've seen since I started in EMS is the constant back biting and friction between EMT and Paramedic levels. Perhaps if we stopped the pissing contest and focused our efforts on improving our profession, we would advance a lot quicker.

Just one man's opinion.

Go ahead, Flame on...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.