Resume---EMT job description??

stopidrookie

I have been working at my first EMS job for a little over 7 mths now and am trying to get a part-time job. (I work nights and it really sucks on my off days b/c no one is up...might as well work and make money for RN school)....Anyone have any suggestions on what i should put in my job description as a EMT-I working on a 911 truck? I haven't updated my resume since I got this job and have NOOOO idea what to put for what I do. It seems kinda silly to list a job description as an EMT cause they should know what I do, we are all trained as EMT-Is to do the same thing ....Right?????

PLEASE HELP the rookie!!!! lol

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

EMT-I for xyz ambo services.

Duties involve providing emergency care and transport to the sick and injured, restocking equipment and supplies as needed, ensuring due regard while operating a ambulance at various speeds and weather, preparing and submitting patient care reports.

Change the words any way you see fit as it is not really that difficult. Seems funny that you can not describe your job duties with words....LOL.

It isn't really that funny tho AK, if you think about it. stopidrookie is trying to put together a job description for one of the most insignificant levels of EMS care out there, not a basic and not a medic, just kinda floating around in the middle somewhere.

I don't know maybe thats where you found the humor..............

Slightly out of line letmesleep...if you notice, the poster is from GA.

GA does not recognize basics...if one wishes to work 911 emergencies, they have to be intermediate or higher. So kudos to at least advancing to a level to enter EMS instead of sitting around as a basic and complaining.

Sorry rookie, but the humor I found is at your expense and many people today, who have no clue how to write resumes. I am not picking on you, just explaining what I found funny. It is more sad than funny, but I see it time after time. I am not that old, yet I can not fathom what people are learning or rather NOT learning in high schools today. We simply are not preparing ourselves to enter the world and succeed.

A job description should be so simple. I believe it might be the same info that was in the job description for which you applied, albeit in much more detail, but there nonetheless. Of course you probably did not read your job description when you applied, because we all know what an EMT knows or does...right?

Just sayin...

http://health.state.ga.us/programs/ems/index.asp

O.C.G.A. § 31-11-53 (Copy w/ Cite)

Pages: 2

O.C.G.A. § 31-11-53

GEORGIA CODE

Copyright 2008 by The State of Georgia

All rights reserved.

*** Current through the 2008 Regular Session ***

TITLE 31. HEALTH

CHAPTER 11. EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES

ARTICLE 3. PERSONNEL

O.C.G.A. § 31-11-53 (2008)

§ 31-11-53. Services which may be rendered by certified emergency medical technicians and trainees

(a) Upon certification by the department, emergency medical technicians may do any of the following:

(1) Render first-aid and resuscitation services as taught in the United States Department of Transportation basic training courses for emergency medical technicians or an equivalent course approved by the department; and

(2) Upon the order of a duly licensed physician, administer approved intravenous solutions.

(B) While in training preparatory to becoming certified, emergency medical technician trainees may perform any of the functions specified in this Code section under the direct supervision of a duly licensed physician or a registered nurse.

HISTORY: Code 1933, § 88-3112.3, enacted by Ga. L. 1977, p. 281, § 4.

I stand corrected AK, and to the OP my apologies. After some review of the GA codes I now know that the basic level in GA is the EMT-I, and I do hope that your plan is to advance in your career choice. I still feel that the EMT-I level is a waste of every ones time when you choose to enter in to the field and stop at this level. EMT-I in most areas is a "in between" level that is misused by people who want to be medics but don't want to go through all the education. Obviously that last statement is incorrect in GA, and I thank you AK for pushing me to educate myself a little this am and learn a new "thing" today.

Getting back to the resume, using term such as general EMT(I) duties in my opinion is something to stay away from because it makes you look to lazy to expand on your job description. So definitely point out specifics. Also the above listed code should give you some help defining your certification

This is uber simple. It was much simpler when there was only one EMT textbook. Here is your entire job description for a resume:

• That's all you need to say. Anything more is presumptuous, and risks making you sound like a tool. Besides, if it's an EMS employer reading your resume, they know what your job was.

To clear all of this up, GA DOES recognize basics, and they can work on an ambulance, NET or 911....EMT-B can do O2, bandages...thats about it....NO ivs.......EMT-I can do D50, EPI, IVS, NITRO, ASA, O2.....EMT-I is the most common level besides Paramedic in GA. To say we are the most insignificant level is ignorant. Obviously people who are posting are assuming they know what we do. And I learned how to make a resume in high school, and in college. I HAVE a resume. Was just tossing the post out there to get ideas from more experienced people on the job descrip for an EMT. So I am not sure where the humor is. EMTs who have over 3 yrs experience are always whining b/c they think us rookies don't want to learn anything from them. Well here is one rookie who is willing to learn anything anyone wants to teach me, and by asking for help with the job descrip on my resume I get blasted.

EMT-I can do D50, EPI, IVS, NITRO, ASA, O2......really? You can do all of that? Wow!

As I stated previously I truly hope you plan on expanding your education within your career choice. There is so much more out there, and yes I can't stand for any one making the EMT-I level a career. EMT-I as a career choice is in my opinion is just simply a lazy way to boss EMTs around, and be the "big man in the truck". I understand if it is a "stepping stone" on your way to furthering your education much like the EMT would be for a serious EMS provider, but to make it your career of choice is just plain lazy. If you were offended by any of my comments, I'd suggest picking up the phone and making inquiries about the next medic class.

She's only been at it a few months now. And she said in her first post that she is trying to get money to go to school.

Even though working for not much more than minimum wage as an ambulance driver is a really, really bad way to try to earn money for ANY kind of school, it's a little premature to accuse her of not furthering her education.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.