Just ignore that dead woman in the waiting room

They have an ER just for mental illness? :lol:

Working in L.A. County, I've had the pleasure of transporting to many psych hospitals. :?

By far, the most interesting is the psych ER at Harbor UCLA. You go through the main ER to get to this separate section. Every door is locked and made of steel for a good reason...

Typically you're holding the wall with other EMT's as well as L.E.O.'s, all with 5150's or worse.

with 5150's or worse.
Foose, 5150 is a local term/code.

5150 of the CA Heath and Safety Code that states when law enforcement, doctors, and psych teams can place someone on an involuntary 72-hour hold for mental evaluation (criteria is danger to self, danger to others, or gravely disabled).

I've heard a rap song by Luniz where he sings "They labeled me 5150" and I heard it on Hanging With Mr. Cooper TV show when he says, "You're driving me nuts. 5150!" So, I guess it's filtered into street slang in CA.

Translation please?

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, so I'll be thorough.

5150 is a 72 hour mandatory hold for psychiatric evaluation. There is another level, which is either 5152 or 5158. One of those is a 72 hour hold for a minor, the other is a week long mandatory hold. I forget the correct designation..

Once placed on one of those, the patient is a ward of the state and loses many rights for that period of time. A patient cannot be released early unless the doctor signs off on it.

The police bring in many violent psych patients in 4 point locked restraints.

The video of that story didnt really tell alot. Correct me if I am wrong but the only people I saw was hands in a chair and the one man walking by but if he was a psych patient he probally wouldnt have know anything was up. I would like to know where the nurses were at or the ward clerk that signs people in. Before I could make a good judgement I would have to know the complete lay out of the waititng room policy and procedures.

I would also like the know the problems the woman had and any complaints she was voicing as to why she was in the ER to begin with.

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking, so I'll be thorough.

5150 is a 72 hour mandatory hold for psychiatric evaluation. There is another level, which is either 5152 or 5158. One of those is a 72 hour hold for a minor, the other is a week long mandatory hold. I forget the correct designation..

Once placed on one of those, the patient is a ward of the state and loses many rights for that period of time. A patient cannot be released early unless the doctor signs off on it.

The police bring in many violent psych patients in 4 point locked restraints.

The 14 day psych hold is a 5250. Also patients on holds actually retain the majority of their rights (right to own doctor, right to privacy within reason, etc), etc. The only major right they lose is the right to refuse treatment (for a full list of retained rights, see: http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/displayc...file=5325-5337).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.