An ambulance is NOT a bus...

Remember Michael Bolton, from the movie "Office Space"? He hated being associated with that "no talent assclown", the singer. Somebody asked him why he didn't just change his name, and he replied, "Why should I have to change my name? He's the one who sucks!"

That's kind of how I see our dilemma. Why should EMS have to find another name besides ambulance, when it is the transfer jockeys who suck? Why don't we just take the name for ourselves -- by law -- and make them find something more suitable, like "bus" or "taxi"? I really think that would be the easier way to go. And it would involve a lot less public education.

Sure Dust take the easy way out. Of course it will never fly because we all know that 1 out every 1000000000000000000000000 granny back to the nursing home becomes a 911 emergency. So transfer jockeys will demand use of the name "ambulance".

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...1 out every 1000000000000000000000000 granny back to the nursing home becomes a 911 emergency. So transfer jockeys will demand use of the name "ambulance".

LOL! So true. Of course, I say they can continue to call themselves ambulances, so long as they are staffed by at least two degreed paramedics at all times.

There we go. Just legislate that no vehicle with less than two degreed paramedics can be labelled as an ambulance, and that doing so is a federal felony offence. I'd settle for that. Every other profession protects their titles similarly. Why can't we?

LOL! So true. Of course, I say they can continue to call themselves ambulances, so long as they are staffed by at least two degreed paramedics at all times.

There we go. Just legislate that no vehicle with less than two degreed paramedics can be labelled as an ambulance, and that doing so is a federal felony offence. I'd settle for that. Every other profession protects their titles similarly. Why can't we?

[stream:e46187ef07]http://www.bullshitjob.com/officespace/michaelbolton.wav[/stream:e46187ef07]

I can live with that, well I will be able to in a few more months when I'm a life saver being saved by a basic. :shock: No wait a minute there won't be no basics to save me. What will I do when I have forgotten all my basic skills? :twisted:

Well, it doesn't help the case that non-emergent transports should not be done in ambulances when the lowest level of transport that Medicare covers IS Basic staffed ambulances. It's too bad that gurney van and wheelchair van services aren't covered as those would be more cost effective.

http://www.emsaac.com/issue_hfca.pdf (last page).

The vehicle used is an AMBULANCE. Whoever purchases the vehicle for use will determine if it will be utilized as a 9-1-1 Emergency Responder vehicle, an Inter-Facility-Transfer vehicle, or used either way as needed by call type and/or call volume.

Also, while the number of IFT patients I have transported (between 1975 and 1985, in private, non-9-1-1 ambulance service) had few patients go sour on me, those who do are still going to be reason not to remove the L&S from the vehicle.

Actually, the biggest number of non-emergent patients, and I emphasize here, in MY experience, are wheelchair-bound and limited walking ability patients, transported in "Ambulettes", a Northern East United States word for a "wheelchair coach". Most that I see of them have either what appears to be private vehicle licence plates, taxi-cab plates, or, here in New York City, special "Taxi and Limousine Commission" (TLC) plates.

Ambulances have "Ambulance" plates, or, if run by a municipality, the county or the State of New York, have "Official" plates, or one of those plates issued by their department.

Nope, not gonna cut it. I demand that we immediately solve this issue with a name that conveys our medical profession. :lol:

Ok demand is to strong but why not use a small amount of extra effort and call it a Mobile Medical Center.

I'll go along with that. An ALS unit considered and MICU (Mobile Intensive Care Unit)?

I'll go along with that. An ALS unit considered and MICU (Mobile Intensive Care Unit)?

The general public would need us to spell out really everything. Except maybe Mobile ER (Emergency Room). This would be something the public would understand as something medical rather than just transportation. Just almost everyone has been to the ER or watched ER, so they would expect us to provide medical care if we were called Mobile ER. Just another thought.

we all know where you stand on this issue and staffing so get off your soap box and come up with something new

we all know where you stand on this issue and staffing so get off your soap box and come up with something new

We were way passed that comment why bring it back up unless you want to debate it again?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.