An ambulance is NOT a bus...

We always had Ambulance on the sides and front of course, but have MICU or whatever level they are on there too. Of course nobody is going to 911 asking for a MICU. It's up to the dispatchers to screen calls and get as much info as possible and assign what level of care is needed. That may take more learnin' for dispatchers, but....oh well.

But one way or another, it's not going to change anytime soon.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as MICU's go out here, it isn't a licensed level but is a service most companies offer for advanced transfers. Most require the MBC CCEMT-P class but some accept a local CCEMT-P. Usually it is associated with a specific hospital and the crew actually works in the ER, CCU, or ICU of the hospital when they don't have a call. With the last "normal" service I worked for if it is a multi pump call or a vent call it will go to them. If they are not available then we would take it

In my limited time around crews, the only time I have heard them say truck, bus, rig, etc...is around fellow EMS workers. Around patients, non-EMS workers, they said ambulance. I have to agree with people who have said there are bigger and better things we need to worry about than what we call our mode of transportation. You may argue that it is the image it projects but what we call the ambulance is not nearly as important as how we present ourselves, how we act professionally, and the quality of patient care. People are not going to care what we call our ambulance if we arrive and are clean and well groomed with clean uniforms, act professional, and provide high quality patient care. People are concerned with the care they receive. Those things need to be looked at before we worry about what each area/person calls their ambulance. I feel we have bigger things to worry about that need to have our attention. Just my 2 cents.

Ames

P.S. Tinman that was great, an ecnalubmA!

It amazes me some of the things that get argued in the forums here. Is there nothing else to talk about other than who calls the apparatus by what name. And because one person calls it red instead of green does that make them any less a paramedic. If they call it a rescue should they be painted with the name "firemonkey". There sure is alot of name calling amongst the northern ems coummunity.

It amazes me some of the things that get argued in the forums here. Is there nothing else to talk about other than who calls the apparatus by what name. And because one person calls it red instead of green does that make them any less a paramedic. If they call it a rescue should they be painted with the name "firemonkey". There sure is alot of name calling amongst the northern ems coummunity.

Northern. Nope it is everywhere. Yes this is a minor detail but guess what it illustrates the bigger picture as to why there will be no improvement in EMS. We can not agree on anything. We care nothing about anything but ourself rather than the whole of EMS. It's been this way so I see no reason to change.

And for your info, Florida is actually a northern state you know. It's full of snowbirds and northern retirees. Not really a place for true southerners there anymore.

Ain't that the truth. It's nearly impossible to find a second generation Floridian in that state anymore. Everybody's parents or grandparents are either from NY/NJ or Cuba. That's what keeps me from moving back there. It's not the state it used to be. When the Civil War resumes, I doubt they'll be on the right side.

Having worked in NYC for many years, I would like to dispel some of the RUMORS about buses as I've heard several reason:

1. Like Richard B. stated, EMS units used to make rounds and pick ups much like a city bus did, they had a route, and even followed schedule from what i understand.

2. EMS units in the late 70's early 80's were made by GRUMMAN Coach Corp. the same company that made NYC Transit Buses at the time. Hence the name buses.

Having worked in NYC for many years, I would like to dispel some of the RUMORS about buses as I've heard several reason:

Not sure I follow. Are you saying that those are indeed just rumours, or are you confirming them as legit?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.