EMS Interview Questions

BEorP

I am particularly into the questions that jbullfrog09 mentioned in his last paragraph. I too want to know about their plans for the future. I won't hire anybody who is just waiting for a call from the FD. I won't hire anybody who is giving their services away elsewhere. I won't hire anybody who does not have a specific plan for furthering their medical education. I won't hire anybody who is not yet sure if EMS is what they want for a career.

You MIGHT be able to get away with that at a private company, but no way in hell would that fly at a government agency. Even at a private, depending on state law the labor board might have an issue or two with hiring practices like that.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Dust, quick question. You want to know about potential employees plans to continue their education, but you do not want that education to include medical or nursing school. Are not good medical directors an integral part of any EMS system? Wouldn't a taste of true EMS also be a good introduction prior to medical school?

You MIGHT be able to get away with that at a private company, but no way in hell would that fly at a government agency. Even at a private, depending on state law the labor board might have an issue or two with hiring practices like that.

Can you explain that theory further? I don't see any privacy or civil rights violations in any of those criteria.

Hey Dust, quick question. You want to know about potential employees plans to continue their education, but you do not want that education to include medical or nursing school. Are not good medical directors an integral part of any EMS system? Wouldn't a taste of true EMS also be a good introduction prior to medical school?

It is not my agency's mission to prepare the next generation of medical directors or nurses. And doing so only contributes to my agency's turnover rate. It would take about twelve to fifteen years for any of those people to actually become a board certified physician, qualified to be my medical director. I'm all for long term planning, but that's a little extreme. I cannot think of any good coming from establishing my agency as a stepping stone to something else.

• 2 years later...

QUOTE (CBEMT)You MIGHT be able to get away with that at a private company, but no way in hell would that fly at a government agency. Even at a private, depending on state law the labor board might have an issue or two with hiring practices like that.

Can you explain that theory further? I don't see any privacy or civil rights violations in any of those criteria.

QUOTE (JPINFV)Hey Dust, quick question. You want to know about potential employees plans to continue their education, but you do not want that education to include medical or nursing school. Are not good medical directors an integral part of any EMS system? Wouldn't a taste of true EMS also be a good introduction prior to medical school?

It is not my agency's mission to prepare the next generation of medical directors or nurses. And doing so only contributes to my agency's turnover rate. It would take about twelve to fifteen years for any of those people to actually become a board certified physician, qualified to be my medical director. I'm all for long term planning, but that's a little extreme. I cannot think of any good coming from establishing my agency as a stepping stone to something else.

Hi,

I agreed with you. Any way, your ideal make me thinking about some thing for my project.

Pls try to keep posting.Tks and best regards

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.