• Create Account
Current Chat Room Users
0 users are in Main Room:

WE ARE BACK TO USING THE ORIGINAL WEB SOFTWARE.  PLEASE LOG IN USING THE CREDENTIALS YOU HAD SET UP HERE ORIGINALLY.

Photo

Paramedic math!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 tskstorm

tskstorm
  • Elite Members
  • 1,013 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2008 - 01:51 AM

First off I am not an instructor yet, I'm not even a paramedic yet, however I have been charged with making a part of the pretest, for future incoming paramedics.

I have been given the math section as I am very strong in math, and medication calcs.

However the exam I took to get in I thought didn't have enough math and it was too easy, people who scored in the 90's on it, are doing horrible in math in class. I thought stepping it up would be a good idea. I have permission to do just about anything on the exam I want so long as I keep future paramedic candidates best interest in mind.

Trying to make it harder in a way they can succeed better later, as opposed to making it harder just because I can.

The exam currently holds addition subtraction (with the exception of like 2 problems the rest will be removed I think basic addition and subtraction questions are pretty silly) multiplication and division of whole numbers, fractions, and decimals. metric system conversions, percentages, decimal to percent, and thats really it.

I am looking for suggestions on types of problems, there are currently no word problems but I was thinking about adding them in, as part of doing medication calcs is picking and choosing what information you need for that problem.

Also just general advice about test making would be greatly appreciated.

#2 vs-eh?

vs-eh?
  • Members
  • 718 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:36 AM

On "Who want's to be a 5th grader?" or whatever they had this problem as 5th grade math...

What is a common factor of 12 and 36?

Miraculously, Mrs. USA knew this, but thought that the heavenly body that made up 99% of our SOLAR SYSTEM'S MASS was (her answer) THE UNIVERSE...She answered both question's with certainty...

I think she ended up winning like $175,000. People applauded...

*Gun to head*

Most EMS math is pretty quick and easy...

EDIT - If anyone here doesn't know within 3 seconds what the answer is to my above "math question", you don't belong in EMS or any job that needs an education above a 6th grade level.

#3 tskstorm

tskstorm
  • Elite Members
  • 1,013 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:42 AM

Most EMS math is pretty quick and easy...

Yes I know, however, I don't think the entrance exam reflects the medication calcs as well as it could but not sure how to improve it.

Adding and subtracting problems are pretty silly, I am also planning on setting up the exam to hopefully give a decent item analysis, to see where the student is weak, if they are specifically weak in any area.

Thx for the tidbit about Mrs. America though!

#4 vs-eh?

vs-eh?
  • Members
  • 718 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:44 AM

I dunno....

Dopamine calcs?

Want/have calcs?

X fluid over X time?

These are pretty standard... concentration? %? serial dilution?

#5 tskstorm

tskstorm
  • Elite Members
  • 1,013 posts
Neutral

Posted 18 January 2008 - 02:46 AM

The school is anti-putting actual calcs on.

They want the math to be there without the actual calc. I think its just silly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users