Pre-Med Student getting EMT-B?

Jonnyb504

Hey I am currently a Pre-Med student looking for some experience in the medical field. I would volunteer, but I need something that pays also. Anyone have any comments on whether it is a good idea or not? Also with just an EMT-B certification am I likely to get a job? Im in the New Orleans are. I also plan on taking this course during my next semester of school, is the course demanding of a lot of time?

If you're used to academics, most EMT programs will be a piece of cake. I went to one that was probably easier than most and I probably studied twice the whole class and that was right before class started.

This summer there were several premeds who worked at our company just for the summer to get patient contact experience. They plan on doing it winter and summer breaks. There's also a number of people who have graduated school and are studying for MCATS (if you work a slow area you get patient contacts, access to doctors at ERs, and downtime to study while getting paid...seems like a good deal). My EMT class had two high school pre-meds too.

I don't, though, know as many premeds who work during the school year, though I do know a number of them...they often end up working non-emergency transfer cars because they offer better schedules.

Getting your EMT while in college is great for your personal experience (though is doesn't help promote EMS as a profession, but we'll put that to the side for now). Which ever way you go, you will get hands on experience which will make you more comfortable when you have to deal with pts in medical school. It will also help you feel more comfortable when you have to do pt simulations in medical school because you will already have the experience of performing in front of someone who is assessing you.

A big part of it depends on what type of system you have where you are. I would recommend trying to get a position where you can be exposed to ALS. Doing renal roundup may pay the bills, but it is very tedious and has minimal educational value. You will also be able to talk with the medics and get a more in depth discussion on things that you will use as an MD/DO. I started out as a volley, but I got lucky. I was about 20 miles or so outside of NYC and most of the volley medics had paid jobs in the city so they had a great deal of experience and wisdom to share. I relaize that not most volley systems are setup like this, so your experience may vary.

For the course, look through your local community colleges. If you see any ambulances, you could just walk up and ask. There might be info if your county has an EMS Authority (or similar) website. You can also search MySpace for a local EMS/EMT/Medic/Paramedic/911 group (use those search terms with and without acronyms) to try to get the scoop in your area.

Be sure to scout out the different ambulances companies before you get a job, too. Do ride-alongs and try to get the scoop on them here or on a myspace group.

My EMT class had two high school pre-meds too.

High school pre-meds? Wow, and I thought that first year undergrads calling themselves "pre-meds" was BS.

Half my med school class had EMT-B certification, but almost none of them actually used it. I knew many more that got it and joined up with the collegiate squad but ran very little, all in a vain attempt to try to pad their med school application with "relevant experience". It's hogwash. Unless becoming an EMT really touches you and you can relate that in your essay and your interview, nobody in med school will care. Nobody on the admissions committee has any real idea what an EMT does anyway.

And no, you don't have to stop once you're an MD. You just don't have to call for orders anymore. :)

'zilla

'Zilla brings up a few good points (as usual). Most premeds who are EMTs are EMTs to get into medical school. My experience was a little different. It was my EMT experience that made me decide to go to medical school. I think that set me apart from some of the others. Admission committees know who are EMTs just to put it on their application. In a large portion of my interviews I was asked a lot of questions about my EMS experience and the interviewers seemed generally interested. Maybe it was a way for them to pick my brain apart and see how real my EMS experience was, but who knows. I also used my EMT to make some money to support my family during undergrad.

In response to the Doc, I just wanted to say, Since I've started being an EMT, I've had a few job interviews for other jobs outside of EMS, because hell being an EMT doesn't always pay the bills, especially when you are being froze out. I noticed all the interviewers who asked about past job experiences or specifically about my job as an EMT, were very interested about my EMT expirience. Side note: It also showed me how little education these people had about EMS as a whole but that wasn't the point! I had interviewers asking me questions about EMS calls, and systems, and not relative to the job. Just agreeing with most interviewers seem genuinely interested in EMS expirience, at least in my expirience. :D