ALS using Lights and Sirens back to the hospital

VentMedic

In our service L&S rarely used during transport to hospital. Exceptions include Penetrating trauma, S&S AMI needing interventional cath, Stroke, any life threatening or quality of life threatening condition that cant be managed by the crew. I must admit I can understand the rationale for running emergency in California traffic though. Traffic around Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro and for sure on I-77 around charlotte has reached a point that easily delays transports for an hour and sometimes three unless you take measures to get around it. Even a BLS to the hospital can be "urgent" simply due to limited resources, patient and crew comfort and the need to return crews to service as quickly as possible.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Captain

I can understand the need to run hot for all the things you mentioned except one thing.

Getting a unit back in service.

that just doesn't compute in my head. running l&S with it's intrinsic risks to public, patient and responders just to get a unit back in service runs counterproductive in my head.

Can someone explain this to me?

Captain

I can understand the need to run hot for all the things you mentioned except one thing.

Getting a unit back in service.

that just doesn't compute in my head. running l&S with it's intrinsic risks to public, patient and responders just to get a unit back in service runs counterproductive in my head.

Can someone explain this to me?

ok let me ask a controversial question. Which I'm sure will bring some wildly heated and probably angry responses.

Should bls ever be dispatched emergency?

Assuming limited ALS resources: Yes.

Assuming unlimited ALS resources: No.

There are reasons that I can think of that might [yes, I'm leaving as much wiggle room as possible on here] warrant a BLS unit to respond and transport code 3. Even then, an ALS unit would probably be preferred for the extra services that they offer [pain management]. An example would be a time critical, non-life threatening event such as moving a patient to a specialty hospital for limb reattachment.

i have a number of colleagues who believe and some of those colleagues are on this site, they do not believe that a bls ambulance has any business being dispatched L&S unless there is an als ambulance behind them.

Emphasis on the relevant part of that sentence.

I like the way that sounds! :lol:

A BLS "ambulance" has no business in EMS. Therefore, a BLS ambulance has no business having lights or siren. Therefore, a BLS ambulance has no business using lights or siren. Therefore, a BLS ambulance has no business being dispatched with lights and siren. Therefore, a BLS ambulance has no business in EMS. And so on...

My partner and I almost fell over when we walked into a nursing home to see fire guys standing there looking shocked while the staff was doing "compressions." The pt's entire body was bouncing off the bed, perfectly straight. I don't know about light as a feather, but stiff as a board...ya think. :shock:

Ok Ok: I got a great question once...

So just how much Valium does it take to get a jaw open in ............. Asystole ?

cheers

Dust, I'm disappointed in you. It took you 4 pages and about 4 days to get into this conversation. You are slacking off in your days of being head over heels in love.

Not to start a fight with Dust, who'd win, but I'd like to talk about the idea of not having BLS rigs. I worked in a county where we were contractually obligated to have a medic on every rig, and that seemed really wasteful. A large percentage of our patients, like 80%, could have been managed on the BLS level. They were stable, didn't need drugs/pain control. It costs the system a whole lot more to have a medic on every truck. A well trained EMT should be able to handle a lot and get ALS backup when they are in over their head. (Clearly ALS should be dispatched immediately to certain calls, like chest pain, SOB, etc.) Thoughts?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.