Jury convicts man in Fort Wayne ambulance shooting
By The News-Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Ind.)
Feb. 07--A jury in Allen Superior Court found a man guilty Wednesday of four counts of attempted murder for riddling an ambulance with bullets as it rushed a stabbing victim to the hospital after a fight at a Fort Wayne nightclub in September.
The jury deliberated for just 40 minutes Wednesday before also convicting 23-year-old Dontay Martin of two counts of criminal recklessness and one count each of battery and gun and gang charges, said Robyn Niedzwiecki, a spokeswoman for the Allen County Prosecutor's Office.
Martin is scheduled to be sentenced March 4 and could face more than 200 years in prison, based on the maximum penalties for the charges under Indiana law. Each conviction of attempted murder could result in a 50-year sentence.
Martin and a second man, 24-year-old Traneilous Jackson, were accused of opening fire Sept. 9 on the ambulance and a car following it as the ambulance transported a man who had been stabbed during a fight at the Piere's nightclub complex on St. Joe Road.
Each vehicle was hit with 16 to 20 gunshots and three women in the car and a medic suffered injuries. About 10 bullets hit one woman in the car, according to court documents. The medic was cut by shattered glass, shrapnel and bullet fragments, the documents said.
Defense attorneys argued witnesses who testified against Martin did so under plea deals with prosecutors.
Jackson pleaded guilty to seven charges, including four counts of attempted murder, last week and faces up to 60 years in prison when sentenced. His sentencing is scheduled for Feb. 25.
©2013 The News-Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Ind.)
Visit The News-Sentinel (Fort Wayne, Ind.) at www.news-sentinel.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
View the full article