Entonox in Canada

Hey guys,

I'm just trying to gather some information on Entonox use in Canada. I believe it is used in Alberta, but is anyone else using it? For those of you who use it, do you find it to be easy and effective? Might anyone be able to email me a copy of the medical directive for it?

Thanks!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/3165.asp

Look under "pain management" and no longer a guideline a firm protocol .. nice eh ?

ps no RRT was involved in this list only the 3 wize men.

 Inability to follow verbal instructions

 Intoxication with alcohol or drugs

 Head injury with altered mental status

 Thoracic injury suspicious for pneumothorax (because of its capacity to diffuse into air-containing spaces based on concentration and blood flow)

 Abdominal pain and distension suspicious of bowel obstruction (because of its capacity to diffuse into air-containing spaces based on concentration and blood flow.

Notes

 Invert canister three times prior to administration

 Administer early while obtaining vascular access to provide pain relief prior to narcotic administration

For the ACP Entonox ... its a waste of time and effort .

Entonox- Not particularly effective in my experience, has some limited use in peds with minor M/S injury and females in labor. Otherwise, seems like more of a placebo than anything.

There have been numerous previous discussions regarding Entonox use on EMT city, sadly where it's been in a general analgesia topic, the topic disappears off in to 'narcotic panic' ...

Entonox if used appropriately is extremely effective , so effective I have seen a quite a few dislocations spontaneously reduce under Entonox alone , it's also extremely effective when applying splintage etc ...

it's extremely widespread in use in the UK

have a look at the BOC site http://entonox.co.uk/en/index.shtml

http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/3165.asp

Look under "pain management" and no longer a guideline a firm protocol .. nice eh ?

ps no RRT was involved in this list only the 3 wize men.

 Inability to follow verbal instructions

 Intoxication with alcohol or drugs

 Head injury with altered mental status

 Thoracic injury suspicious for pneumothorax (because of its capacity to diffuse into air-containing spaces based on concentration and blood flow)

 Abdominal pain and distension suspicious of bowel obstruction (because of its capacity to diffuse into air-containing spaces based on concentration and blood flow.

Notes

 Invert canister three times prior to administration

 Administer early while obtaining vascular access to provide pain relief prior to narcotic administration

For the ACP Entonox ... its a waste of time and effort .

Pretty much the same in BC but we also have a diving contraindication.

Thank you all for your comments!

Pretty much the same in BC but we also have a diving contraindication.

Since BC is a provincial service is it safe for me to assume that every PCP has access to it?

Are there any other analgesics used by PCPs in BC, Alberta, or the rest of Canada?

We also have the diving contraindication here.

Methoxyflurane was introduced a couple years back here, it has been used in AU for years. There is rumour that this is going to replace entonox because of it is cheaper and more portable.

Thank you all for your comments!

Since BC is a provincial service is it safe for me to assume that every PCP has access to it?

Are there any other analgesics used by PCPs in BC, Alberta, or the rest of Canada?

Entonox is actually available to EMR's in BC (not the case in Alta.). I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but at present Entonox is the only analgesic available to Alta. EMT's and BC PCP's, though that may change in BC within the next 3-5 years.

Edited by rock_shoes

Entonox is actually available to EMR's in BC (not the case in Alta.). I can't speak for the rest of Canada, but at present Entonox is the only analgesic available to Alta. EMT's and BC PCP's, though that may change in BC within the next 3-5 years.

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to the EMR protocol? Or do you have a copy you could email me?

Thanks for the info. Do you have a link to the EMR protocol? Or do you have a copy you could email me?

Fire me a PM with your e-mail address and I'll see what I can do.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.