St Patrick's day is right around the corner....

NYC-EMS

it's just that nobody really gives a crap when those jackasses kill themselves through various acts of stupidity.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what Wendy was saying, so I don't think she's the one who is "wrong". :D

Called to the scene of a 20 year old dumb ass who drank one fifth of Grain alcohol.

on arrival found male patient unresponsive with what appears to be black face paint on. He is lying supine on the floor in a gangsta rap position. He has snoring respirations and does not appear to have any pills or alcohol around him.

Unknown how long he has been unresponsive but long enough for his other dumb ass friends to cover his face with black marker.

Patient appears to be continent of urine and bowel. Frat buddies state that he took the entire jug of alcohol and drank it in one sitting. Emtpy bottle of Grain alcohol provided at the scene. Bottle given to the police for their investigation.

Exam:

Heent: normocephallic, pupils fixed and non-reactive. No drainage from nose or ears.

Neck: c-collar applied but neg jvd, neg tracheal deviation, no trauma noted to neck.

Check: equal chest rise and fall, snoring respirations noted

Back: Log rolled onto spine board - no obvious injuries noted - shirt removed

Abdomen: soft non-rigid no trauma noted

Pelvis/GI/GU: no trauma noted, no loss of continence

Extrem: no extrem trauma, flaccid extremities

Cardiac: Regular rate and rythm(sic), 12 lead shows NSR without ectopy pulse ox = 95% on room air

Lungs: clear to auscultation but snoring respirations noted

Neuro: GCS = 3, AVPU = U

Assessment: suspect acute alcohol overdose

Tx: exam, vitals, c-spine precautions c-collar placed, log rolled on spine board, Intubated with a 7.5 et tube with no gag reflex noted, top rate mallimpati, Tube secured to patient via commercially available tube tie, IV 14 guage (would have gone bigger but didn't have a bigger IV cath) and NS 1000ml bag with a rate of 250cc per hour, Pt moved from floor to cot and cot moved to ambulance.

Non-emergency transport to the hospital, en route given Narcan, thiamine and blood sugar checked showing 340 so no D50 given. No response to the narcan nor thiamine. Patient in the ambulance placed on autovent with appropriate settings. Radio report to hospital given and eta of 7 minutes to er.

No changes in route to hospital, dumb ass still unresponsive. Pupils still fixed.

I know theres' a lot left out but hey, we don't have all the particulars.

End of report

During the transport to the hospital another of our units were dispatched to the scene we just left because the guys girlfriend started having a anxiety attack because she thinks her boyfriend is dead.

Ah, the point I'm trying to make there is that they're BOTH stupid. The pretty girl who drinks a crapton and puts herself in a bad situation, and the fratarse who chugs the keg.

It just seems to be that when the pretty one croaks, from her own stupidity (not referring to any GHB involvement here, we'll get to that next) that it's a tragedy, and she's turned into a martyr.

For example! The lovely instance from the school I'm currently at... Samantha Spady. Drank a crapton, wandered from party to party, passed out in a frat house attic and died. EVERY YEAR on the anniversary of her death, her picture is paraded around... the "tragedy must not be forgotten".... and no one comes out and says that she *killed herself* through stupidity and associating with stupid people.

Now, take your average, unshaven, unwashed "general education major" frat boy, and place him in the same attic she was found in... oh well... another frat boy died of stupidity. I'm trying to say that if we don't care about the frat boy, we certainly shouldn't care about the dumb broad, either. Either the fact that they die of stupidity is to be blown off, or it really is a tragedy (and I think loss of any younger life is a tragedy... there's always the potential for turnaround).

Now, another thing I can't stand about certain fraternities and sororities is the sexual social culture. I have no issues with anyone who chooses the one-night stand lifestyle. Your body, your emotions, your choice.

When that lifestyle is added to a drunken, disease riddled, contraceptive free environment, it becomes a societal problem. Not to mention the fact that some fraternities still operate on the "boys will be boys" mentality, where sexual assault on women is not only expected, but encouraged. Lots of date rape, party rape, GHB use and coverups. Hell, one house up here, Sigma Alpha Epsilon, is known as Sexual Assault Expected. They even are loud about it- they repaint the lions outside the house red whenever a member sleeps with a virgin. I'll bet there's lot of upset ex-virgins who were drunk and didn't realize what they were getting into....

The sororities should be educating their women on how to avoid these situations and how to keep themselves safe.... but no! The sororities PLAY INTO the mess, encouraging girls to look as attractive as possible and frequent drunken frat parties. When a girl goes home with a frat boy, it's a *good* thing and discussed ad nauseum the next day.

As always, this is a general observation. From two physical locations- Michigan (WMU was right next door to K College, where I went) and Fort Collins, CO (CSU)- I have observed the same kind of behavior. Ergo, I make generalizations about fraternities and sororities.

There are a few notable exceptions, but most of them don't live in houses together. For example, the Eagle Scout fraternity is completely a social service organization. They do things for the Scouts and the community... and don't live in a party house.

Alright. Back to the thread. I agree, this is pretty straightforward; airway, history, IV access, be ready for seizures, transport and reassess continually. Get him to the hospital so they can try to fish him out of the alcohol sodden mess he's currently in.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

On arrival, found an approximately 25 y/o Male, supine on a couch, unresponsive to painful stimuli. Per bystanders, had "consumed massive amounts" ETOH. V/S as written (elsewhere on call report). Pt has snoring respirations, heavy smell of alcohol on breath. Lung sounds clear bilaterally. Nothing else noteworthy on examination of pt. Pt unresponsive for undetermined time, but enough for bystanders to paint his face with some kind of marker pen. Inserted Airway tube, o2 @15 LPM NRB (liters per minute Non Re-Breather mask, with BVM (bag-valve-mask) on standby precautionary to possible breathing arrest. Moved to amb via carry chair, transported in stretcher, right lateral recumbent position. Transport time shorter than awaiting Advanced Live Support amb arrival or intercept, transported by Basic Life Support amb. No change or incident en route to hospital.